Somewhat Quirky
Somewhat Quirky
  • Grosse Pointe, MI

How to Trim the Screw Posts on a Drawer Knob.

I lived 55 years before I found out the easiest, best way to shorten the screw posts when I am replacing the knobs on a piece of furniture. Am I the only one who didn't know about this?
how to trim the screw posts on a drawer knob, windows
I always hated the very long posts on new knobs. I would go to the hardware store and search for a replacement piece. Big hassle.
It's simple. You just get out your wire trimmers. Everyone has wire trimmers. Even when I only had a hammer and screwdriver I had a pair of wire trimmers. But I never knew they had this special function.
Just find the appropriate hole for the size of the post. Insert the screw post and squeeze. Really hard. IMPORTANT NOTE: The screw should always be inserted at the printed side of the wire cutters. That is opposite of the way this one is inserted.
Ta Da! A trimmed screw post.
Much better. Now I won't scrape my hand or arm on it. Note - sometimes the cut looks crooked, but the integrity of the tread is intact. The nut always slips right on!
Somewhat Quirky

• Mary Libcke

Perfect for the jewelry box I'm making! Ty!

• Nitwit

Thanks. We bought some beautiful glass knobs at TJ Maxx for cheap, but the screws are like 2" long. I was dreading using a hacksaw 12 times.