Outdated To Outstanding Golden Oak Cabinets

$15

Hi, I'm Rhonda, and today I’m going to show you a super cool trick that I found to update your golden oak or honey oak cabinets without painting! I know you've all got 'em. These dated oak cabinets that were very popular in the 80's and 90's but today...not so much

The technique I'm going to show you today is called toning and it doesn’t require any stripping or painting! Toning changes the tone of your cabinets by applying a coat of stain mix over your existing cabinets. It'll bring out the natural grain of the wood while beautifully darkening the color of your cabinets.

I am going to show you this technique on a lighter pickled oak cabinet. You might have these in darker or lighter tones, but I'm sure you recognize these cabinets in some form or another. And...it's time for these guys to go!

Today I'm using General Finishes water based wood stain in Espresso, and the General Finishes High Performance water based top coat. Espresso is a dark color that I love and is very popular right now, but if you'd like to go lighter, the General Finishes stains come in lots of colors.

Mix 1 part stain to 1 part top coat (in a 1:1 ratio). I like to mix well in these disposable plastic containers with lids, because the mixture stays a long time if you keep it sealed tightly.

I also like to add some paint extender which will delay the drying time of your stain, giving you more time to play with the stain once it goes on, to get the color you want. Add a squirt of extender directly into the stain/topcoat mixture, and mix well.

Before you start staining, you'll want to lightly sand down the surface of your cabinets, just to rough up the edges a bit so that the stain really gets into the wood. You don't need to do any heavy duty sanding. I used an 80 grit paper with a medium grit sanding block. When that was nicely sanded, I went over it with a 220 sandpaper as well. When the sanding is done, wipe down well with a cheese cloth to get rid of any residue.

I also use denatured alcohol and water (another 1:1 mixture) and cleaned off the cabinets well. This mixture is a great de-greaser, and will remove cooking oil from kitchen cabinets as well as hair products from bathroom cabinets too. Wipe down your cabinets well with this mixture, and when dry, you're ready to tone!

Apply the stain mixture with a sponge brush, brushing on like you would paint.

Cover the whole cabinet with stain. Keep going, you got this!

For the next step, you'll need a natural bristle brush with lots of "poof".

Lightly brush with your natural bristle brush, feathering out the stain while darkening the natural color of the cabinet. Keep brushing the stain until the stain is evenly coated across the cabinets.

Check out this awesome Before and After! What a difference a little bit of stain can make!

Here's one of the larger cabinet doors post-face lift. I love it so much!

Bonus idea! Toning isn't limited to only cabinets! You can use toning on stairs, oak furniture, mantels, just about anything oak!

4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!

• Pineapple
    Pineapple

Where’s the picture of the whole kitchen? I don’t like dark cabinets at all. Mine were dark like yours and I painted them a light off white. So much better and brighter.

• Milena Cejnarová
      Milena Cejnarová

Why woul'd she put there a picture of the whole dark kitchen if she has her own kitchen cabinets painted white (look at the background of the photos)? 😉

• Jenny
    Jenny

Doesn't it make the kitchen darker?

• Susan
    Susan

I think my cabinets are laminate? They have a surface that is like Formica. Can this type of cabinet doors be painted?

• Linda  Lynn
      Linda Lynn

Yes they can You need to wash them down good with an ammonia paint cleaner and then talk to the people at your Sherwin-Williams store they'll tell you what primer to use. And then I used two coats of paint to make mine white because I had laminated cabinets at one time and they turned out great