DIY Outdoor Wall Art

$50

Learn how to create gorgeous art for the exterior of your home - it's an easy project that will totally transform your patio. If you love this project, see more DIY ideas for the home on my blog, Love & Renovations.
diy outdoor wall art
Start by determining the size of your art and cut your plywood backing to size. You'll use 1X3 pine boards to create the design. I used an online program to plan my design (see the blog post for more details on that process), then simply followed the design I created.

Start by framing out the art with your pine boards. Do not attach anything at this point - simply clamp it into place while you work.
diy outdoor wall art
Begin cutting interior pieces. I created my design so that all of the boards would be cut at a 45-degree angle, so there were no complicated cuts. I tried to match my design, but had to make a few adjustments as I went. Do not attach anything at this point - you're just dry-fitting to make sure it all fits.
diy outdoor wall art
Once all of your pieces are cut and dry-fit, stain or paint them. You can check out the full blog post to see how I did a color-wash treatment on my pieces so that the wood grain would still show through.
diy outdoor wall art
Finally, you're ready to attach the pieces and hang your art! I used a combination of Gorilla Glue and brad nails to attach each of my pieces, then I used a french cleat to hang the entire thing on the side of our house.

• 1/2" plywood
  • 1X3 pine boards
  • Stain

Love & Renovations

• Lau33518383

Beautiful, do you have anymore you’ve done?

• Francisco

In back yard it's private fence I want look better the only wood what you thing it's good?

• Jewellmartin

Yes, good idea. I’m thinking about a section of my backyard fence, facing inward. The fence is stained red on the outside, but I have a blank slate on the inside. The color washed treatment suits my skill set. But I would use a weather-resistant, clear polyurethane coat to protect the art. Post your interpretation on Facebook! Jewell