PVC Mosaic Planters

$100

I needed some tall planters, so I went to Lowe's. News flash! Tall planters are very expensive!! But as I was walking through the plumbing aisle, I had an idea...
I saw these 6" PVC pipes. There were 10' long and I knew I couldn't get them into my car but guess what? Lowe's will cut pipe for you so I had them cut one pipe in half.
Step 1: Once I got the 2-5' pieces home, I measured the height I wanted for four planters.
I made them 24", 28", 32" and 36".
Step 2:
A - I used painter's tape to mark the measurement around the pipe
B - Using a hand saw, I cut a slit in the pipe
C - I placed the jig saw blade into the slit
D - and cut the pipe apart
Step 3:
I sanded the entire pipe using a medium grit sandpaper.
Step 4:
The pipes were tall and I didn't want them to be blown over in a high wind.
A - I cut a piece of chicken wire approximately 6" wider than the pipe
B - I wrapped the chicken wire around the base of the pipe.
C - Using duct tape, I attached the chicken wire to the pipe.
(see Step 12 to explain why I did this)
Step 5: Because I wanted to mosaic the outside of the pipe, I gathered things that I had around the house; old tiles, glass gems, random plates.
I broke the plates and some of the tile using a hammer.
Step 6:
You will need Mastic which is an adhesive and a small notched trowel. The trowel I used is a 4" x 4" piece of plastic with different notches on three sides and one side is smooth.
Step 7:
Use your notched trowel to apply the mastic. You don't need a lot but enough so you don't see the pipe through it. Once you have the mastic on the pipe, use one of the notched edges to make ridges in the mastic.
You can begin at the top of the pipe or the bottom.

Step 8:
Work in small sections, applying the mastic then pressing your pieces of tile into the mastic.
This is the fun part because you make whatever designs you want.
Allow the mastic to dry 12 hours.

Step 9:
To keep your tiles in place, you will need mortar. You can purchase ready made mortar but it's expensive.
A - I used a dry mix.
B - Following the directions on the bag, I mixed the dry powder with water
and mixed until it was the consistency of firm potatoes using a rubber scraper that I purchased specifically for this project.
C- Once the mortar was ready, I applied it to the pipe using the same rubber scrapper.
D - I also applied plain mortar to the tops and rim of the terra-cotta planting pots that would go into the top of the pipe.
Step 10:
Once the entire pipe had mortar, I removed the excess mortar with a large sponge. This is a car washing sponge that I cut in half so it was easier to work with.
Allow the pipe to dry for 12 hours.
Step 11:
To seal the mosaic pipe, I used a mosaic sealer.
I poured it into a bowl and applied it with a sponge brush.
I allowed the sealer to dry 6 hours.
Step 12:
To ensure that the pipes don't blow over, I loaded them with large rocks (that's why we put the chicken wire over the bottom!).
Step 13:
I planted each terra-cotta pot with a plant and placed them in the top of each pipe. I did this project late in the season so the pickings were slim as to what plants I could choose from.
I had a space along the fence of our pool where nothing would grow and people could see in. These pots are perfect to fill that space.
Or they look great on my front porch. Won't the neighbor's be jealous???
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!

• Marilee H

Why did you use mastic instead of mortar to apply the mosaic, and why did you use mortar instead of grout around them?

• User

Grout doesn't glue, it just fills in between the tiles.

• Sunny

These planters are so cool! Would you be able to just fill with soil and plant, too? I'm thinking of grouping 3 together with rope and using blues for a nautical look! Thanks!

• User

Sunny and Robyn, those are great ideas and they've inspired an addition to a project plan of mine. Thanks!

• Candyhd84

Is Amazon the only place to find 6" PVC pipe? I have checked Home Depot and Lowes and they only sell 4". Amazon is too expensive. Do you have any other places to find this that you know off?

• Beth

Lowe’s and Home Depot will order the size you need.

• Tinamomoftwins

A vine of some sort would look pretty hanging down from one.

• Donna L TALBOT

I definitely will try this project. You gave great detailed instructions and step by step directions. Hats off to you!! Most people lack in that area. I appreciate the extra effort.

The finished product is so versatile that I am sure that many followers will be inspired by your designs. Great creativity!!