Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

PVC Mosaic Planters

$100

I needed some tall planters, so I went to Lowe's. News flash! Tall planters are very expensive!! But as I was walking through the plumbing aisle, I had an idea...
pvc mosaic planters
I saw these 6" PVC pipes. There were 10' long and I knew I couldn't get them into my car but guess what? Lowe's will cut pipe for you so I had them cut one pipe in half.
pvc mosaic planters
Step 1: Once I got the 2-5' pieces home, I measured the height I wanted for four planters.
I made them 24", 28", 32" and 36".
pvc mosaic planters
Step 2:
A - I used painter's tape to mark the measurement around the pipe
B - Using a hand saw, I cut a slit in the pipe
C - I placed the jig saw blade into the slit
D - and cut the pipe apart
pvc mosaic planters
Step 3:
I sanded the entire pipe using a medium grit sandpaper.
pvc mosaic planters
Step 4:
The pipes were tall and I didn't want them to be blown over in a high wind.
A - I cut a piece of chicken wire approximately 6" wider than the pipe
B - I wrapped the chicken wire around the base of the pipe.
C - Using duct tape, I attached the chicken wire to the pipe.
(see Step 12 to explain why I did this)
pvc mosaic planters
Step 5: Because I wanted to mosaic the outside of the pipe, I gathered things that I had around the house; old tiles, glass gems, random plates.
I broke the plates and some of the tile using a hammer.
pvc mosaic planters
Step 6:
You will need Mastic which is an adhesive and a small notched trowel. The trowel I used is a 4" x 4" piece of plastic with different notches on three sides and one side is smooth.
pvc mosaic planters
Step 7:
Use your notched trowel to apply the mastic. You don't need a lot but enough so you don't see the pipe through it. Once you have the mastic on the pipe, use one of the notched edges to make ridges in the mastic.
You can begin at the top of the pipe or the bottom.

Step 8:
Work in small sections, applying the mastic then pressing your pieces of tile into the mastic.
This is the fun part because you make whatever designs you want.
Allow the mastic to dry 12 hours.

pvc mosaic planters
Step 9:
To keep your tiles in place, you will need mortar. You can purchase ready made mortar but it's expensive.
A - I used a dry mix.
B - Following the directions on the bag, I mixed the dry powder with water
and mixed until it was the consistency of firm potatoes using a rubber scraper that I purchased specifically for this project.
C- Once the mortar was ready, I applied it to the pipe using the same rubber scrapper.
D - I also applied plain mortar to the tops and rim of the terra-cotta planting pots that would go into the top of the pipe.
pvc mosaic planters
Step 10:
Once the entire pipe had mortar, I removed the excess mortar with a large sponge. This is a car washing sponge that I cut in half so it was easier to work with.
Allow the pipe to dry for 12 hours.
pvc mosaic planters
Step 11:
To seal the mosaic pipe, I used a mosaic sealer.
I poured it into a bowl and applied it with a sponge brush.
I allowed the sealer to dry 6 hours.
pvc mosaic planters
Step 12:
To ensure that the pipes don't blow over, I loaded them with large rocks (that's why we put the chicken wire over the bottom!).
pvc mosaic planters
Step 13:
I planted each terra-cotta pot with a plant and placed them in the top of each pipe. I did this project late in the season so the pickings were slim as to what plants I could choose from.
pvc mosaic planters
I had a space along the fence of our pool where nothing would grow and people could see in. These pots are perfect to fill that space.
Or they look great on my front porch. Won't the neighbor's be jealous???

• Marilee H

Why did you use mastic instead of mortar to apply the mosaic, and why did you use mortar instead of grout around them?

• T Renae Fischer

I'd like to know also. Mastic comes premixed, which could be easier, but isn't recommended for wet areas. As an outside project I wonder how well this holds up. I wonder if grout has been tried for the whole project.

• Sunny

These planters are so cool! Would you be able to just fill with soil and plant, too? I'm thinking of grouping 3 together with rope and using blues for a nautical look! Thanks!

• LeLoa

Y don't u just get like a cover for the bottom and drill several little holes in it seal it to the bottom n stick rocks or broken up bricks on bottom to give weight and apply your soil and then plant ur plants. This way it can hold water n soil but yet drain extra water not needed out. Seem simple and going to try this looks pretty cool. Kids will love decorateing them as well.

• Candyhd84

Is Amazon the only place to find 6" PVC pipe? I have checked Home Depot and Lowes and they only sell 4". Amazon is too expensive. Do you have any other places to find this that you know off?