Vintage Secretary Gets Jazzed Up!

$50

This little cutie was posted in an online auction, and I WON! I had to go pick it up, but was happy to find that they would load it for me! My enabler was at work so I was on my own that day. 😂

Here is the picture from the auction. Cute right?!

My first step (after wiping down) is to sand and base coat. Here you can see the sanding and base coating are completed, and I carried it in to paint.

I decided on a soft gray. Here you can see the first coat is on and drying. It generally takes two to three coats to get the best coverage. A light sanding between coats will help minimize brush lines, and give you a smooth finish.

I decided to do a two tone of black and gray on the desk “door,” and drawer fronts. This requires taping off, because I do NOT have a steady hand. 🤣

I decided I wanted to add a little something to the desk “door,” because it was just too plain. I found this cutie at Lowes, and inspiration struck!

After painting it black, I dry brushed it with the sea foam color. How fun is this?! If you aren't familiar with dry-brushing, here is a link to a "how to."

https://www.hometalk.com/41664662/dry-brush-painting-technique

Seriously, I should have attached the appliqué BEFORE the door was painted...but this worked. A little wood glue, some tack nails, and a nail set to sink the nails..and perfect!

I started out with rub n buff...but quickly decided it just wasn’t right for this hardware. I moved on to Rustoleum metallic spray paint instead. If you follow me, you know that patience is NOT one of my virtues....*sigh* several light coats will prevent runs, more work, and more time. One day I might learn this lesson myself.

After the paint is dry and the piece is lightly sanded with a fine grit sand paper...wipe it down so no dust remains and polyurethane time. I have found I really prefer a wipe on. I hear you can mix regular and save some $$...I may have to try that!!

I just can’t resist a pop of color!! And if you follow me....you already know my passion for sea foam is real. 😂

I put the door back on, and done!

What do you think?! I love the transformation of this piece.

15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space