Five Dollar Window Box

$5

With just a few boards, some screws, and an afternoon, you can make these DIY five dollar (lumber only) window boxes. These are super quick, easy, and add a ton of character to your windows. Here is how to build them.
The first thing to do is cut all of your boards to length on a saw. I usually use a miter saw, but you could use a miter, table, or circular saw.

Then, drill pocket holes. This is what will allow you to assemble the box.

Here is the pocket hole jig I use.

For the exact measurements, head on over to this post on my blog. The Crafted Maker.
Next step is to attach the boards together to build a box. The boards are joined together with pocket hole screws.

Once your box is made, you can paint or stain at this point.

I used a black satin paint for mine. The paint can be found HERE.

I had a brick home when I completed this project, so I used a hammer drill to attach the window box to the house.
Once your box is attached to the house, fill it up with some dirt and your favorite flowers!!

If you decide to build yourself some of these window boxes, have a blast and make them unique to your own styles and color.

Crissie @ The Crafted Maker

• Gennel

I love this project and have wanted to add flower boxes to my house for the longest time. But one thing holds me back, I had a few free-standing wooden flower boxes before and the wood rots from the damp soil. How can that be prevented? Should I use cedar? Should there be drain holes? Should the bottom have metal screening or metal bars to hold only flower pots? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

• Louise Cushing

You don't have to plant right in the box. Set individual pots in the planter and add moss or cedar chips to fill and cover the dirt. If you provide drainage stones in a saucer under each pot or in a tray, you can avoid over-watering as the extra will evaporate.