Gorgeous Colourful Upcycled Giant Tassels for the Home

$1

These aren't any old tassels, well they are actually as they are made from scraps of old jeans. ( I have a thing about upcycling denim you can see all my creations here). With the way, I make these tassels, unlike other tassels you won't get any loose threads they are very robust.

Tassels are everywhere at the moment. They are on bags, shoes, round the home on lamps, cushions, and rugs. They are the new pom poms. I'm a bit of a sucker for household trends especially when they are a bit whimsical. You can use my tutorial to make denim tassels of any size.
gorgeous colourful upcycled giant tassels for the home
What you need to start with is a scrap of denim from a pair of jeans about the size you would like to make your tassel.
The tassels are made from basically fraying the denim square. If you noticed on one side of the scrap of denim there will be some white threads. ( You may need to pull a few blue threads to expose them first.)
You need to pull the white threads down and out one or two at a time.
Carry on pulling the threads until you have about 2inch left at the top. This is a bit of a monotonous craft but requires very little concentration so a great one to do in front of a Netflix box set.
The next thing to do is to roll up the frayed denim square.
To add color to my tassels I secured them with some brightly colored embroidery thread.
For more photos and tips visit the blog link at the end.
What I love about these tassels is the different colors of indigo you get from the denim.
I made some bigger tassels for my home and added some colorful pom-poms to brighten them up.
I warn you once you start, this is quite an addictive craft. Every time I sit down to watch telly I start making tassels. My son is a bit of a fidget and he also enjoys making these tassels as it gives him something to do with his hands whilst watching TV.
I've used some smaller tassels to decorate pillows and rugs like with my upcycled DIY Frida Kahlo Floral pillow. A friend has even made denim earing with her tassels, and another has some red denim so is going to make tassels for Christmas.

Where would you put your tassels?
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Patti

How do you attach the Pom Poms to the ends. Need to make theses to add to all my Poms in my She Shed. Thanks for sharing. So cute.

• I just used embroidery thread to sew the pom-poms to the tassels and then looped the thread at the end so I had something to hang the tassels from. Thank you.

• JJ

GREAT idea! I have lots of old jeans and can't wait to try this neat project! Can you tell us how you attached the pom-poms? Thank you so much for sharing!!

• Pmdbio

Thank you for sharing this fun creation. The possibilities are endless. They could make great Christmas ornaments bejeweled with favorite character buttons, heirloom earrings & buttons. Something for everyone. Love this!

• Jamie Tyler Smith

I made these, thank you for your post, and I found it's easier if you put the hanger or end on before you roll it up, again thank you for your post I even made it into fringe to add length to a pair of jeans, I'm tall and sometimes can't find jeans long enough!