How to Add a Window to Your Front Door

$300

Did you know that if you have a fiberglass door without a window, you can add one yourself? I recently gave our front door a major makeover and it's kind of hard to believe that the "after" is actually the same door! If you love this project, you can find more easy and affordable DIY project ideas on my blog, Love & Renovations.
Here's what our front door looked like before I got started. Plain, boring, and nothing exciting about it.
The first step was to paint the door. Once it was painted, we used a level and tape measure to mark where we'd be cutting a hole for the door. Be very careful and precise for this part - you don't want to make any mistakes!
Once the door was marked, we applied painter's tape around the cut line so that we could prevent splintering.
Now, you're ready for the scary part - time to make a hole in your door! Be sure to not go all the way through with the jigsaw. You'll want to do just the first layer, then you'll flip the door over and repeat steps 1-3. We used a jigsaw with a metal blade on it to make this cut. Once you've cut both sides of the door, the piece should pop out very easily.
Now, it's time to slide the window into place and screw it in. See the full blog post for all of the details on the exact product we used for this project, and a link to the source for it.
Once your window is screwed into place, you're ready to re-hang the door and bask in all of the gorgeous natural light that's now streaming into your house! Be sure to read the full blog post if you want more details on the product we used, as well as a full video detailing how the project was done.

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Love & Renovations

• Barbara H. Kimsey
    Barbara H. Kimsey

Can I put a much smaller window instead??

• Tanya L Ray
      Tanya L Ray

my neighbor has a much smaller window in his door (by previous owners) but it looks funny and off since it doesn’t line up with the raised panels. When planning, keep this in mind.

• AnnMarie Taylor
    AnnMarie Taylor

Can I do this with mental door ??? Thanks

• Ricky
      Ricky

yes you can, By using a jig saw you will need a metal cutting blade to cut the opening. you can also use a hand held grinder to cut the opening. Remember to wear a mask because In the pictures the man is not wearing a mask and breathing fiberglass particles can cause Siliceous in the lungs

• Tammy Baggett George
    Tammy Baggett George

Did you just measure on the back of the door the same way you did the front? I would be so scared mine would be off just a little which would make all the difference when trying to pop out the piece of wood 😬😬