Error loading player:
No playable sources found

DIY Laundry Cleaners

$5

I have been doing some laundry cleaning research lately and I wanted to share a homemade laundry DIY recipes with you.

You can see more of my crazy creations here

diy laundry cleaners

Laundry Detergent:

Mix together 1/4 cup Washing Soda, 1/4 cup Borax, 1/4 cup Castile Soap, and 1 gallon water in a container of your choice.

• Washing Soda (different from baking soda) neutralizes and eliminates odors, enhances your laundry soap, and a natural whitener that is safe for colors.
  • Borax enhances the power of your soap and is a color safe whitener.
  • Castile soap is a natural, non-toxic, multi-purpose vegetable based soap. It's biodegradable, you can get it scented or unscented, and categorized as a disinfectant and will kill 99% of germs.
diy laundry cleaners

You would use equal amounts of this as you would any store bought laundry detergent.  

diy laundry cleaners

Stain Remover

Mix 1/2 cup Castile Soap with 1 cup Hydrogen Peroxide (be sure to use the 3% kind you can buy at the store) and place in a dark squirt bottle.

diy laundry cleaners

Spray the mixture onto your stain and you can watch it work immediately. I let this one sit for 10 minutes as my son had a bloody nose (sorry).

diy laundry cleaners

Place it in your wash and it'll come out clean. If for some reason the stain persists, repeat the steps and you can soak in this solution as well. I did test this on color fabrics and it did work without bleaching it out. I didn't leave it set as long so you might want to test it first for a longer amount of time before letting it soak too long.

diy laundry cleaners

Alternative Stain Remover:

You can also use a mixture of 1 cup vinegar, and 1/2 cup lemon juice.

diy laundry cleaners

Spray the mixture on the stains and wait approximately 10 minutes.

diy laundry cleaners

Place in your wash.

diy laundry cleaners

3rd Stain Remover

Use straight Castile or Dawn soap. Place a little soap on the clothes, use your finger and scrub into the stain. You can watch it start to work and disappear.

diy laundry cleaners

Place in wash and it'll come out clean.

*I have noticed that Dawn appears a little stronger than Castile soap.

diy laundry cleaners

Remove the musty smell

Place 1/2 cup baking soda in with your DIY detergent from above and they will work together to fight that musty smell.

Alternatively you can use 1 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup lemon juice with no detergent.

diy laundry cleaners

Dryer Sheets

Mix together 1 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup lemon juice. You could use essential oil in place of the lemon juice. In a container place wash clothes or cloths, pour the mixture over the washcloths, and place the lid on top. When you are ready to use one, pull it out and stick it in the dryer.

• Vinegar - this is a natural cleaner and fabric softener.
  • Lemon juice is also acidic so same qualities as vinegar, & added a nice lemon smell.
diy laundry cleaners

Homemade Bleach

Fill our laundry tub the whites you wish to clean and fill with water. Pour in 2 cups hydrogen peroxide (the 3% kind you can buy at the store), and 1/4 cup lemon juice.

• Hydrogen Peroxide is a bleach alternative
  • Lemon juice is a natural cleaner, breaks down stains, and fabric softener, & added a nice lemon smell.
diy laundry cleaners

I would love to have you stop by my blog  Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Kim Jenkins

I used to make my own and then worried with high efficiency washers. Do you use with a high efficiency washer? Logic tells me it should be okay since they need less soap to avoid getting clogged but sometimes my logical thoughts are not the same as manufacturers.

• Dee Dee Roehrig

I hate my HE washer. Sure wish I had my old washer back. My clothes just don't get as clean or fresh no matter what I do. I have tried all types of detergents....a little less...a little more. If i use extra detergent it doesn't rinse out of my clothes.

• Marian

Yes, I will try this project. I'm all in for DYI and this is right up my alley. I love the idea of a make my own laundry soap and I take care of a man that is allergic to all kinds of soap. Do you suggest anything different for his allergies?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Hi Marian, thank you and I'm excited you want to give this a try. Castile Soap is great for people with allergies and sensitives. My recommendation is to get the unscented, and I would dilute a little bit of the Castile soap and do a small skin test before laundering all the clothes to make sure his skin will accept it - just in case.

• Patsy Bruner Kern

How to get lip stick out of clothes

• Sue

It may cost a little more, but you aren't using chemicals.

• Jixyrocker711
    18 hours ago

Hmmmmm, I probably won’t try the soap as I am extremely picky about the soap I use not only on my clothes but in my HE washer. However, I have used baking soda, put directly on clothes, & vinegar, put in bleach dispenser of washer, to get rid of mildew odor on towels. I will try the stain removers & dryer sheets! Thanks for sharing the recipes!