Make Unique Kitchen Storage Out of an Old Chair.

$10

I have 3 boys and they all have a bad habit of swinging chairs on to 2 legs. Often it ends up with one of them swinging back too far and landing on the floor. Occasionally the strain is just too much for the chair and a leg snaps.

Instead of throwing away the latest kitchen chair casualty. I decided to upcycle it into some unique kitchen storage just like I did with my awesome bathroom storage unit (see it here).
The wood had split where the leg attached to the seat. It was too difficult to repair. So I removed the remaining 3 legs.
I then got a ruler and a sharpie and marked a line across the seat just in front of the backrest.
I then sawed the seat of the chair using the sharpie line as a guide.
The yellow color of the chair didn't really go with my kitchen, which is blue. I, therefore, spray painted the chair back in different shades of blue.
I used clingfilm around the spindles when spaying different colors.
I had some lovely blue knobs and hooks I'd picked up in a sale in my DIY cupboard. ( You can find similar ones here)
I screwed these knobs into the back of the painted chair.
Whilst in my DIY cupboard I also found some old shelf brackets I'd picked up from IKEA a while back. I used these to fix the chair to the wall in my kitchen.
Now I had somewhere to hang my tea towels and oven gloves.
I love my new handy little storage shelf and tea towel rack in the kitchen. However, I will still try and get my boys to stop swinging on the chairs when they sit down to eat.

Check out my blog post at the end for more pictures and details.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Karen

yes but I broke my kids from rocking on my chairs I made them stand at the table since they didn't know how to sit

• Lynn

I think the chair is charming, & Karen’s comment is Funny.