Here's my master bath with the backsplash about 98% done. I wasn't sure what to do with the window so I stopped with one or two pieces of tile to go. I wanted to get rid of the earlyl american look, and add some color. Several friends with newer homes had wider trim, so that was the direction I decided to take.
Updating Some Window Trim
A view of my partially completed window project for how-to purposes. I wanted a wider trim for an updated look, and a place to add more color.
Note that the costs reflect a whole can of spray primer, a whole gallon of drywall material etc, not just the partial amounts this project took.
I removed the trim under the window sill with a wood chisel and a pry bar. Be careful not to damage your drywall. About four nails held it on. ( the blue tape "dots" to the right are spots I want to touch up next time I paint )
Here's what was behind the old trim. I made a mental note of where the wood was for framing in the window so I'd know where to nail in the new trim. While it was all apart I added some quality silicone caulk. I measured the space between the backsplash and bottom of the window sill, as well as the width.
I got some clean straight 1x4s at Home Depot (I check every one I buy for straightness on all four sides - see my barn door project for hints). I cut this one 1/16" narrower than the window sill on a miter saw I found for $50 on Facebook. Once sanded it will sit in at least that much on each side.
Knowing all the finishing trim I was hoping to do, I bought a planer/jointer on Facebook for $100 to help with re-sizing wood. I planed the thickness down to 5/8" and then narrowed the top and bottom until it would fit under the sill, and still leave me 1/8" for a caulk gap next to the tile, but that's just my preference. You can adjust as necessary.
I didn't have the radius of router bit I wanted, so I added a simple radius on the bottom corner/edge with some 150 grit sandpaper (my go-to preference). I sanded the ends smooth as well.
Here you can see the arrow showing me the outer bottom edge. Here's a few passes of primer from a spray can. Always paint the full length of the piece if you can.
After the primer dried I filled any chips cracks etc with drywall compound. Buying select lumber would have been faster, but much more expensive. Here I'm using 1/2 of a $6 1x4. After the drywall compound dries sand it smooth. I went ahead and painted the trim the new color with latex and let dry so it would already be painted when I installed it.
Thank you Amazon for shipping boxes that make nice tables to spray paint on
I attached the trim with just two finishing nails, and cut the nail heads off before they were fully sunk in. I then set them deeper with this nail setting tool.
Here's the finished trim installed on the wall. I filled in the nail holes with drywall compound, let it dry, and then sanded and painted like before.
You may still see the (lighter) wet paint here from the two nail holes I finished over. I also finished the backsplash up with the required grout and caulk. Underneath the new trim I ran a bead of caulk as well just in case.
Next up I'll do the the other three sides of the window. Comment if you have ideas / suggestions that will help others and I'll add them into the tutorial. I know some of you don't like spending the $ on tools, but I think they will pay for themselves on this house, and when I'm done I can sell them for what I've got in them
- Rustoleum Spray Primer ($4) (Lowes)
- Drywall Compound ($7) (Walmart)
- Paint (Lowes)