How to Make Paint Swirl Ornaments

$30

I made a batch of these ornaments years ago for a craft fair. Recently, I was inspired to make another batch in the colors that I love for Christmas. That's one of the best parts about this project - customizing it with the colors you love.

These ornaments are easy enough to let kids help you in the process, but also they're pretty enough to give as gifts. Most kid crafts aren't exactly gorgeous, ya know.

how to make paint swirl ornaments

Gather your supplies and protect your desk. I used craft paper. This process can be pretty messy, so you might also want some paper towels on hand.

I used plastic ornaments because my kids still break things. Plus I have a rambunctious dog whose tail feels very dangerous around breakable things. Use glass if you want.

how to make paint swirl ornaments

Remove the tops from the ornaments.

how to make paint swirl ornaments

Pour your first color into the ball. I used white to start with.

how to make paint swirl ornaments

Pour your next color into the ornament.

(I used a monochromatic color scheme for some ornaments, using only shades of blue or pink. For others, I used a variety of colors. )

how to make paint swirl ornaments

Swirl the colors around until the whole ornament is covered. Add more paint if you need to.

how to make paint swirl ornaments

The colors mix and swirl together to look so pretty!

how to make paint swirl ornaments

When the ornament is covered, let it sit upside down in a paper cup. The excess paint will drain out.

Let dry for a day or two and replace the tops.

how to make paint swirl ornaments

I love how they turned out.

To read more about these ornaments and see other Christmas crafts, check out my blog.

Emy Flint | Semigloss Design

• Barbara German

Did you useanything to make the paint flow better?

• Some of my paint was a bit old, so I added some water. Probably not the best choice because it dried transparent. Newer craft paint flows pretty well though and it's pretty cheap. Flood is probably a good choice too. I have some in the garage, but I didn't think to use it.

• Jackie H

Can you do this with clear wine bottles?

• Donna Flint

Hi ya, Long Lost Cuzzin By Marriage! (I'm claiming ya cause we're both Flint's). Did you ever have a problem with these drying and streaking? I dried mine for two solid weeks and still they were wet and streaky. I gave up and did glitter ornies with Polycrylic instead.

• They were only streaky when I watered down my paint. They dried fine. I'm not sure what happened with yours. That's a weird paint reaction! Your glitter ornaments sound lovely though!

• Carmel Madden

I will try this they are fabulous,,,thank u for sharing...

• Kandy

I did this one Christmas Eve with my family including grandchildren. It was so much fun! Let them dry for a couple hours then had them write their names with gold or silver sharpie pens. Then everybody hung them on the tree. 🌲