Ironing Board Folk Art Santa

$25

So hiding in the corner of this estate sale was a vintage wooden ironing board. After a few minutes of haggling, the seller was worn down and let it go for $20. I had some idea of what I wanted to do but researched what ideas Hometalk and Pinterest might have. Bunches. With Christmas fast approaching I narrowed my search to Santa. Here is my version.

ironing board folk art santa

This was a typical vintage ironing board with iron fold up legs. Some suggest taking the legs off but I decided to keep it in original condition.

ironing board folk art santa

I drew the shape of Santa’s hat and beard onto 1/4 inch plywood and cut it with my Skill saw. I then drew arms, a beard, a fringe for the bottom, a ball for the hat and cut them out.

ironing board folk art santa

When cutting the arms I had to make several cuts so that the shoulders positioned correctly next to the beard. Using barn red, white and black chalk paint I painted all the pieces. When the hat and beard dried I positioned them on the ironing board and traced Santa’s face. I added eyes so I could position the face pieces.

ironing board folk art santa

Next I positioned all the pieces using a glue gun to attach to the ironing board.

ironing board folk art santa

My wife did not like the creepy eyes that followed her around the room, so I repainted the face. I also added highlights, trimmed it, buttons and a wreath.

ironing board folk art santa

This was a fun, easy project completed just in time for the holidays.

ironing board folk art santa

HO HO HO......