Pinecone Winter Wreath

$8

Seasonal wreaths are a great way to display some decor both inside and outside your house and also a great handmade holiday gift idea. Unfortunately, they are also pretty expensive if you buy them from the store. The good news? They are super fast and easy to make! This wreath was inspired by some pinecones my mom and I collected while camping over the summer. They were the perfect thing to make this DIY Pinecone Winter Wreath for almost no money at all. Read on to see how I did it!

pinecone winter wreath
Supplies
  • Length of time for project: less than one hour, start to finish
  • Cost: $7
  • What you’ll need: Lots of pinecones, different sizes. Additional filler/greenery (I used fake sprigs from Joann’s fabrics). 12″ wire wreath form. Twine. Glue gun.
  • What I learned: This project is kinda messy! My pinecones were wet and dirty when I brought them in. After drying them in the oven, I dusted them off which left a bit of a mess. Then, glitter was on my sprigs…enough said. Also, wrapping the wreath form with twine was tedious but it adds stability and more surface area for the glue to stick to so I would recommend you do it too. 

pinecone winter wreath
Wrap your Wreath Form

This pinecone wreath was super quick and easy to pull together and I just love how it turned out! You will need to start with a 12 inch wire wreath form which I purchased from my local Joannes fabrics for about three dollars. I then wrapped it with twine that I had on hand to provide more surface area for the hot glue to stick to. This part was a tad tedious…but I think it is worth it. 

As I said before, most of the pinecones were collected with my mom when camping over the summer. I didn’t count them but I had about 3/4 of a target shopping bag full. The smaller pinecones were found in my side yard and they were perfect fillers…not to mention super cute!

Beware! Pinecones are dirty! Or at least mine were. Put them in the oven on a lined baking sheet at 250 degrees for about half an hour, just to dry them out a bit. Then wipe them off just using a dry paper towel.

pinecone winter wreath
Hot Glue the Pinecones

The larger pinecones were attached on the outer edge about 2/3 to halfway inside the wire frame so there was enough surface area for them to adhere to, just using hot glue. You will see there is a little space between my larger pinecones. Honestly this was just a factor of the amount of pinecones that I had on hand. If you want a fuller looking wreath you could collect more and put them a little closer together.

pinecone winter wreath

Also from my local Joannes fabric store, I purchased a few little bundles of these pinecones and berry sprigs. These were then cut apart using wire cutters and spread around to add a little color and filler to the wreath.

pinecone winter wreath

Lastly, I filled in with these tiny little pinecones I found out in my yard. Super lucky to have a ton of these nearby because they really make a great filler in between the larger pinecones and on the edges!

pinecone winter wreath

And you are done! Just like that. Super fast, super easy. It maybe took me an hour from start to finish. Now to just find a box big enough to ship this super cute pinecone wreath to my mom in time for the holidays…

Sarah

• Em

Just curious. Instead of going to all of the trouble of wrapping the twine, why not just use a styrofoam form instead? I have made these with the straw forms but they become pretty heavy.

• Em

You could paint the foam brown or fill in with those tiny hemlock cones. I use them as fillers. I do like that you used the flatter wire form though. My front door would not hold a fatter wreath. Your idea would be great for a fall wreath with leaves on it tucked into the twine.

• Bonnie Bowness

Hi sarah, your wreath is one of the prettiest I have ever seen .The best part is sending this to your Mom for Christmas,what a fantastic memory you will always have picking these together.This is a precious gift ,its so beautiful with so much meaning behind it.I truly love the thought behind your project.That is the true meaning of Christmas.Straight from your heart.CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!

• Sarah

Thank you SO much! I really appreciate the thoughtful comment and nice words. Happy holidays!