How do I get rid of mice?

+7

I have tried everything. Blocking holes. planting mint, those plug in things. even I hate the idea putting poison. Put things in totes. Still mice. I do live in the country next to a Large farm. I hate mice. The are dirty & make my life very hard. It's a daily deal. Please HelpC. Pack

• Jacalyn Rix Jacalyn Rix on Nov 30, 2018

I haven't had this problem in our new house. But I've read that mint essential oil will help. Put a few drops on cotton balls. Then put them on the perimeter of the walls they seem to come in through. I would place them every few inches. Good luck!

• Carol Carol on Nov 30, 2018

I have done this. Oils are costly. I have used mint tea bags in the drawers & cumbers.plus oils has cut down but not totally. I'd paint my house with it if I could afford to. .

• Yes, I feel your pain. I think they are sweet and adorable, but do not want them in my house either. I use no kill traps as I live in a semi rural area and have a place to safely release them. See if this helps.

https://www.pests.org/get-rid-of-mice/

Or bite the bullet and call an exterminator.

• See 1 previous
    • Carol Carol on Nov 30, 2018

They said if they are poisoned they are to go outside they don't .

• Carol Carol on Nov 30, 2018

Where can I get a 55 gallon drum. It's very costly.

• Carol Carol on Nov 30, 2018

Thank you both I'll keep trying. Sorry but the freak me out. fear them afraid they'll jump on me. maybe a snake. but they don't like winter. and that's when they come in.

• Sorry to hear that Carol. Yes, keep trying. I would rather deal with mice than people sometimes. When I moved to my current location, no one had even heard of the place and relatively few people lived here. Fast forward 20 + years and civilization has caught up. Now a bustling suburb of 250,000. They are doing a major construction job on the interstate that goes through the valley and with this past holiday weekend it snarled the traffic to a halt. A 10 minute errand took 1.5 hours. Everyone was complaining because a private road was blocked off that people used to use as a secret route. Now those that don't understand what a "private road" means and are demanding access. Huge neighborhood controversy. It gets really complicated and honestly I would rather deal with mice than a bunch of self absorbed, entitled, narcisstic, egocentric individuals. Hope you find a solution soon! I want to join you in the country! 🤗

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Nov 30, 2018

Carol, it’s almost impossible to live in the country and prevent varmints and bugs. The mice are getting in somewhere, but they can enter through a hole or crack smaller than your thumbnail. Use foam plumbers’ sealer or other insulation and seal around every house pipe, drain, outside wall, loose window, door, chimney, steps to the door—anyplace that could be a highway or byway into the house.

If you depend on mousetraps, buy them by the dozen. Cover dead mice with paper and put the trap and mice into the trash. If you use poisons, do be liberal with the poison, and use the kind for mice unless you spot a rat, then add the larger size, too. Add the poison around your porch and foundation, too. If you can, use an exterminator once a month and make sure rats and mice are included in the contract.

Best wishes, Carol. ☺️