Jennifer West
Jennifer West
  • Shreveport, LA

DIY No Sew Roman Shade (With 5 Minute Step by Step Video)

I had been seeing these fun no sew roman shades around for a long time, and I finally made some! In fact, I made 6. I LOVE this project, and the results are so beautiful. It may take you an hour to make the first one, but you will be knocking them out left and right after you get the hang of it. Pick out your favorite fabric and get ready to turn those funky old mini blinds into gorgeous Roman Shades!
shades window no sew roman, diy, home decor, reupholster, window treatments
The first thing you will do for this project is measure your blinds and window space. Once you have that measurement, cut your fabric to be an inch longer on all sides. This is so you can fold it and create a seam, and then iron in the stitch witch.
After you have the fabric cut and ready, it's time to cut your blinds. This could be scary, but with pictures and my video you will know exactly which cords to cut, and which ones to keep.
When you have your blinds cut and ready, it's time to lay out the fabric and attach it to the blinds to create your shade.
Head over to watch the video and see how I finished up this project.
Jennifer West

• Nancy SY

I have made this using the exact same method. But the sun is starting to loosen up the hot glue and the old blinds are coming off the material. Any suggestions? They work perfectly and look really pretty!

• Tekel

Question: do you think it would be possible to accomplish this Roman shade look and NOT remove any slats or cut the ladder cords?

I am excited to try this in my sun-room! I have 8 tall (floor to ceiling 6ft) windows on the south east side. Currently have the 2 inch white faux wood blinds in each window. I bought fabric planning to just make grommet panels but this idea gives a cleaner and more streamlined look. However, I like the fact the existing blinds do such a good job of blocking the sun in the warmer months. So, this leads me to ask the question I posted above. If no slats are removed the sun protection stays. I imagine using the Velcro method on the outer edge of slats spaced evenly over the full height of the window (say every 12 in for total of 6 folds). This would limit the option of tilting slats either in or out, but I find I always have them tilted the same way ( outside edge down, inside edge up).

What do you think? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for the tutorial!

• Barb
      31 minutes ago

My sister has Both, that way you can raise the blinds in the back and out your "created" blinds in the front, so you can get the extra protection from the full blinds when you need them.

• Joy Guidry Kreller

can this be done with mini blinds on a picture window?

• Wilma Michelson

Hi have been looking at this for some time , my only hesitation comes from cleaning, since the fabric is glued down how would I clean them ?

• Nancy Wilson

If you are using glue, use something that will be washable. And don't use extremely hot water. Instead use a vinegar, water and baking soda solution to wash them (in the tub dunk them repeatedly in this solution then rinse and hang to dry; in the shower, spray them with the solution, rinse and hang to dry).

• Cda3227217

yes. just got to find the perfect fabric, that takes time, the searching. Gotta get started.