Is It Too Early to Be Thinking About Baseball?

$20

My brother and sister-in-law were going to throw out this good, but odd shaped piece of wood. As soon as I saw it I knew it was destined to be a baseball table.

is it too early to be thinking about baseball

It was pretty rough looking but doesn’t it look like the infield!

I flipped it over, sanded it and painted it white. Then I took a garbage can lid to make the curves. But that didn’t work out so well. So, I tried tracing it on my own and I liked it much better. Using a pencil, then black paint, I made the arcs. The hard part was mirroring it on the other side. It took a lot of measuring but I got it, finally!

I then added red paint to make the stitches.

The table looked too clean so I added this antique wax. In baseball the umps rub dirt on the balls so I thought this would make it look more like a baseball.

I love, love how it turned out.

Then came the legs. I found the hardware to attach the legs at Home Depot. You predrill a hole in the bottom of the leg and attach it with a screw. Then, you attach the leg to the table top.

Do you know wooden bats are hard to come by at 2nd hand stores? So after looking for a good month, I was able to acquire 3 bats. I cut the bottoms of the bats off at a 10 degree angle so the table would be more stable.

After turning the table over I felt it just wasn’t sturdy enough. So I decided to build a base, no pun intended! I measured, well my husband measured, and I put the pieces together using screws. Then I stained the wood with a stain called Jacobean. I just love this stain!

Attaching them was a bit tricky and once again my husband walked into my shop at the right time to help me! I predrilled, then used screws to attach the base to the legs.

I made a top that would act at a shelf for the table too. This really helped strengthen the table.

I left the bats as I bought them. I could have sanded and stained them to match the base but I wanted it to look as authentic as possible. I really like how it all ties together!

All done! Add a stool and you have a place to sit and do your homework! Or listen to your favorite team on the radio⚾️

• Melody

Why not just make the top round like a baseball and have a baseball diamond half way down as a shelf? Great idea for the baseball fan!

• Donna Colwell

Love this, especially the bat legs!!! Very creative and useful

• Sarge

Baseball...uh, no thank you. What a snooze sport. (Just kidding , don't hit reply and blast me out). Nice. Love the "baseball bat" legs. Gives me an idea for a "football" table with goal post legs. Thanks!