Rock Candy Wreath

$40

Today's project demonstrates how to make a fun and colourful wreath to hang on your front door for Valentine's Day! Wreath-making is one of my favourite forms of DIY, which means I have one for pretty much every major holiday or special event.

To find out where my imagination took me with this particular one, keep scrolling!

Tip: I used a 16-inch wreath form. Three bags (150 pieces each) of vase filler was the perfect amount to cover the entire thing. Depending on the size of your wreath, you may have to adjust the number of bags you purchase.

rock candy wreath

The steps for this DIY aren't very complicated — but they are time-consuming.

rock candy wreath

All I did was use my hot glue gun (and A LOT of glue sticks) to adhere the vase filler to the front panel of my wreath form. I stuck them as close together as possible, and made sure the layout was completely random. If you've ever seen a stick of rock candy, you know how imperfect and jagged it is, and I wanted to replicate those qualities in my wreath.

rock candy wreath

Once the front panel was completely covered, I added gems around both the inner and outer edges. I did this to not only make the wreath look fuller, but also to conceal any Styrofoam that was still visible.

rock candy wreath

Because I wanted the pink gems to be the star of the show, I decided to stick with a small, traditional accessory for this wreath. I found a festive decoration at Dollarama comprised of three glittery hearts, however, it was just a tad too big.

So, using a pair of linesman pliers, I removed the outer heart, and attached the remaining two to the lower, lefthand side of the wreath with some glue.

rock candy wreath

To finish everything off, I cut a gorgeous strip of purple ribbon, tied a bow, and hung the wreath on our front door.

I'm so glad I was able to make my vision of a rock candy wreath a reality! And while I think it's the perfect look for Valentine's Day, this idea certainly isn't limited to it. With a simple colour change, you can create a crystallized wreath for any holiday!

Katie Sara Creates