Rustic Bench Planter Box

I wanted to make one of these since I saw the picture. I found the picture of the aged one somewhere online, but I do not remember where (if you know please post where!)
bench planter box rustic, container gardening, flowers, gardening, repurposing upcycling
My finished piece
This project is made from three pallets--not complete ones but we picked the best wood out of the three. I wanted to make a more rustic looking one but we started to make it the day of her party and didn't have time.
It was relatively easy, I made the main box then nailed the back boards on then the rough cut 2x4 legs. We used a "red wash" paint method. I bought two tubes of craft paint from the dollar store and mixed it with water in a ratio of 2 parts water and 1 part paint. I wanted the wood grain and imperfections to show through.
After the paint dried I applied a coat of Rustoleum's 2x clear coat that is UV and weather resistant. The paint will peel and crack in about six months if you do not reapply before the winter so it will rustically age naturally.
We then lined it with a double layer of plastic and then trimmed it out with surveyor sticks to prevent the plastic from ripping.
Lines and the surveyor sticks used to reinforce the seam
I used my air nailer to assemble the bench then I screwed the 2x4 legs and back piece. Approximate dimensions are 30' wide X 12' deep x 24" tall to the arm rest. The planter box is 5 3/4" deep but If I were going to make another one I would make in 8" or so deep.
A close up of the seam.
My inspiration. I don't know where I found it! If you do please comment below.

• Kim Smith

I love the little bench planter. I have an old one that I have done nothing with. It needs this update. I will add it to my list of projects. Pretty!

• Nicole Mahoney

Thank-you very much everyone! My mom uses tremclad paint instead of the colour wash and the tremclad paint cracks and ages beautifully. You can see the colour and the wood turns grey along the cracks in the paint.