Faux Hand Carved Wood Headboard

$44

I found a beautiful hand carved wood headboard, but the price tag was too much for my budget. I decide to make my own faux hand carved wood headboard.

But first, let's take a look at the inspiration for the project.

Photo found on Etsy

I found a mandala stencil that I loved and decided to make my faux headboard out of floor underlayment. I cut down to the width of our bed.

I gave the wood a couple coats of White Dove paint from Benjamin Moore.

I used the wall color that the headboard would be attached to for the paint color used on the stencil. I started out by find the middle of the board and selected the biggest stencil.

Each time I picked up the stencil I made sure to wipe off the back so no paint would transfer to the board on accident. I also used painters tape to hold the stencil down. This made it easy to remove and not damage the paint on the board.

Once the center mandala stencil was done, I moved to the next size down and continued the pattern until the board was filled. I mounted the board to the wall using my brad nail gun.

I added trim pieces to give more of the headboard look.

While this is more of a functioning piece of art than a true headboard, it definitely gives more of the look of a hand carved wood headboard without the price tag.

To get the full tutorial, check out my blog post.

https://www.cribbsstyle.com/faux-hand-carved-wood-inspired-headboard/

CribbsStyle

• Enolac

Where did you get the large stencil? I have searched several places and cam only find small ones.

• Carolyn

Did you put a matte sealer on it so that when heads lean back against it they don’t wear away the stencil?

• CribbsStyle

No because we used a durable paint. It’s been a few months since we did it and there’s no signs of wear.

• Robyn Garner

Great job! Question: what color/brand of paint is on the wall? I LOVE what I call "non-colors" and yours falls into that category lol! It's a lovely blue but not in your face blue, a rich saturated color that changes with the lighting. Lovely job and decor 😎