Easy DIY Open Shelving

$75

Here's a quick tutorial for how I added open shelves above the toilet in my bathroom. It's a much better look than the ugly cabinet that was there before, and it's super functional too. This project is incredibly simple and can easily be completed in an afternoon! If you love this project, you can find more easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog , Love & Renovations.

easy diy open shelving

Here's a look at my bathroom before - pretty standard, with a plain cabinet hanging above the toilet. It was never super functional for us (and we hated the look) so we decided to do something about it.

easy diy open shelving

I started by removing the cabinet and patching the wall. Then, I measured and marked the places where I wanted the brackets for my shelves to go. You can see all of the details on how I planned it on the full blog post, but you'll install two brackets per shelf by simply drilling them into the wall. If you aren't drilling directly into studs, be sure to use an anchor!

easy diy open shelving

Once my brackets were installed, I took a piece of 2X12 pine and cut it down to the length of shelf I wanted. After cutting, I thoroughly sanded the shelves so that they were completely smooth.

easy diy open shelving

I stained each shelf and allowed it to dry thoroughly.

easy diy open shelving

Then, I attached the shelves to the brackets by drilling into them from underneath. Then, I filled up the shelves!

Love & Renovations

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Do you have issue with hitting your head on the lowest shelf?

• Doris

What shall I do w/ a foot board?

• Tracy

I absolutely hate to use "L" bracket type shelves due to the cumbersome of attaching it. It's either attach shelf to bracket and then to the wall, or attach brackets to wall and then attach the shelf. Any tips to make it not so clumbsy?

• Tracy

I'm such a moron, lol I never even THOUGHT of that. D'OH!

• Heje

The shelves look much nicer than the cabinet.

• Lisa West

Nice. Your bathroom is huge. I like the look.