How to Add Live Edge to a Mirror

$25

I made one of these live edge mirrors for our house and have since made a handful for friends! Whether you want to dress one up or save a broken one (like I’m doing in this case🙈)...

For this one, I’m starting with a damaged 4’ mirror.

I started by organizing some scrap 3/4” plywood. I cut it about 6” wider than the mirror so I’d have some meat to screw into the walnut. Then, I arranged it to fit the height of the mirror flush.

I put dabs of loctite all over the plywood! An older contractor taught me that dabs will grab and hold better than lines...which is what I would normally do😜

Once the mirror was all glued up, I got the pieces of walnut set in place, marked and cut!

To keep the mirror and wood level, I put more scrap plywood (1/4”) strips running on top of the 3/4” right beside the mirror and glued that down.

I used more loctite to adhere the walnut to the mirror and plywood then screwed through the back making sure the screw weren’t too long and that I didn’t hit mirror😜

A little tung oil and that’s a wrap!! Now to find a spot for it to hang🙌🏼🔨🍷

This is the 6’ monster with poplar we currently have in our room...now for the walnut beauty!!!

• Jackie Lett

I really love this, but is it hard to clean the mirror around the bark? Does it or will it chip off?

• Jenn

That's a good question!! I would like to know also

• Andrea Bunny

Good job. Do you recall where you got the rough edges pieces of plywood? It has the brown tree bark edges still on it? I haven't seen this at our Lowe's and doubt home Depot? Thanks

• Debi

Ir is a different idea I like and could be used around door ways as well. Gives a nice cabin feel. I will try this in my new garden shed.

• Christy

Can you text me because my daughter really wants 2 mirror for her hair salon. Can you make this for her. Text me 480-326-0240

• Debi

Yes I plan to use it in my garden shed around my windows. Very cabin feel.

• Carmen

Reminds me of “Through the Looking Glass”