Sawdust & Whiskey
Sawdust & Whiskey
  • Nashville, TN

How to Add Live Edge to a Mirror

$25

I made one of these live edge mirrors for our house and have since made a handful for friends! Whether you want to dress one up or save a broken one (like I’m doing in this case🙈)...

how to add live edge to a mirror

For this one, I’m starting with a damaged 4’ mirror.

how to add live edge to a mirror

I started by organizing some scrap 3/4” plywood. I cut it about 6” wider than the mirror so I’d have some meat to screw into the walnut. Then, I arranged it to fit the height of the mirror flush.

how to add live edge to a mirror

I put dabs of loctite all over the plywood! An older contractor taught me that dabs will grab and hold better than lines...which is what I would normally do😜

how to add live edge to a mirror

Once the mirror was all glued up, I got the pieces of walnut set in place, marked and cut!

how to add live edge to a mirror

To keep the mirror and wood level, I put more scrap plywood (1/4”) strips running on top of the 3/4” right beside the mirror and glued that down.

how to add live edge to a mirror

I used more loctite to adhere the walnut to the mirror and plywood then screwed through the back making sure the screw weren’t too long and that I didn’t hit mirror😜

how to add live edge to a mirror

A little tung oil and that’s a wrap!! Now to find a spot for it to hang🙌🏼🔨🍷

how to add live edge to a mirror

This is the 6’ monster with poplar we currently have in our room...now for the walnut beauty!!!

• Wandamurline

I love it, but with the top and bottom not covered, is it more likely to become damaged?

• Joann

Put a bit of melted wax on the table. It will make a “stop” to prevent it from sliding across the table. It keeps the look you like, and likely will not cost anything. Use real bees wax though. Heat to soft but not liquid and use an old eyeliner brush to “paint” the wax onto the table in a thin line.

• Jackie Lett

I really love this, but is it hard to clean the mirror around the bark? Does it or will it chip off?

• Jenn

That's a good question!! I would like to know also

• Andrea Bunny

Good job. Do you recall where you got the rough edges pieces of plywood? It has the brown tree bark edges still on it? I haven't seen this at our Lowe's and doubt home Depot? Thanks

• Thomas

Lowe’s actually has started selling live edge slabs.

• Shelli

That is beautiful. U could sell those for a lot of money here in cowtown. Ft Worth Texas. Love it!

• Sawdust & Whiskey

I ship!! 😜🙌🏼 Have all the Texans join me On Instagram or facebook🎉🙏🏻 Sawdust And Whiskey

• Shelli

Okie dokie. Will try it! Such a lovely mirror