Builder's Grade Mirror Turned Trumeau Mirror
Like most homes, I have this plain builder's grade vanity mirror. I really really dislike it but taking it out and replacing it with two different mirrors seem like too much work...mostly the taking it out part. I could have frame it with moldings like most people do but that's no fun for me. So here is the before.
Plain. Misplaced. The fact that the mirror isn't perfectly lined up with the sinks drove me crazy but OK, I can work around it. I sketched out the shape of the frames on the mirror. I knew those little washable crayons would come in handy. Then I painted the outer edges with white paint. By this point, I know there is no turning back.
The next part is putting the appliques on the mirror. This is always the hardest part for me. I can spend days and weeks just trying to figure out how I want things to look like. It is kind of pointless since I always end up changing it last minute anyway. I use contact cement to glue the appliques onto the mirror. Right about now was when I realized why I kept skipping this project. Even my crazy brain knew this was one of those projects that sound really good in my head but it wasn't going to translate well in real life.
I stared at it. I stared at it some more. I hated it. I wanted to cry. I lost some sleep trying to figure out how to fix it. As usual my solutions came around 3 in the morning. Trumeau Mirror! It was the perfect fix to hide the mirror edges. I added moldings on the top and the sides then painted it with chalk paint. After adding some wax, it was done!
I think it is a good balance to my shabby distressed cabinets.
And my antique French cabinet is the perfect finish.