Plaster Easter Egg Vase

$20

This year I'm starting spring off right with this super cute Easter tablescape that I am thoroughly proud of. Matthew and I recently moved into our first apartment with a dining room, so this is the first tablescape I've decorated in my own home which is exciting (for literally just me 😜)

In addition to the plaster egg centerpiece, I also made the tablecloth from some Hobby Lobby fabric, dyed the napkins ($1 white bandanas from HobLob!) with the same blue dye as I did the eggs and the plaster, and used greenery from -YOU GUESSED IT... HobLob- to decorate the table.

But as for the plaster egg centerpiece, here's how I did it! (and be prepared to make LOTS and only get a few usable finished products... but in my opinion it's worth it!)

plaster easter egg vase

What you'll Need:

• Plaster
  • Water
  • Funnel
  • Clear Balloons
  • Gel Food Coloring
plaster easter egg vase

Step One:

Blow up the balloon 2-3 times, this will stretch it out and allow it to hold more plaster. Then tape the balloon to the end of the funnel to keep it from moving.

plaster easter egg vase
plaster easter egg vase

Step Two:

Pour 1 cup of plaster into the mixing bowl and 1/2 cup of water (with food coloring premixed into it.)

The ratio is always 2:1 plaster to water. BUT be very cautious with this, the plaster needs to be liquidy to swish it around the balloon and it sets fast. So I recommend making one balloon at a time.

plaster easter egg vase
plaster easter egg vase

Step Three:

Mix the plaster well until there is no lumps. Don't overstir though, as it will start to set if you don't work quickly. Then transfer the plaster to the funnel. (You can pour, this bowl is just heavy so I opted for a spoon to avoid a mess.)

plaster easter egg vase

Step Four:

Tap the funnel and tug on the balloon to release air bubbles and allow the plaster to fill the balloon. This might take a while, be patient!

plaster easter egg vase

Step Five:

Once the balloon is full remove it from the funnel. Pinch the end and run the opening under the faucet. Be sure to really pinch, to prevent much water from getting in. You just want to wash away the plaster from where you'll put your mouth.

Then blow up the balloon to the desired size and tie it up, beware the bigger the vase the more fragile!

plaster easter egg vase

Step Six:

Swish, shake, and rotate the balloon to ensure that the inside of the balloon is fully coated with plaster.

plaster easter egg vase
plaster easter egg vase

Step Seven:

After letting the balloon dry overnight, take scissors or a knife and cut the balloon. This will cause a break at the top that will look like a hatching egg! I recommend making these in batches, since they all break, you're looking for the prettiest break. And sometimes the break can go the side or be too big, etc. Better safe than sorry! In this batch I made 6.

plaster easter egg vase

Step Eight:

Finally, take a chip brush dipped in gold paint and flick it at the vase to get this speckled effect!

plaster easter egg vase

I also speckled some eggs dyed with the same dye as my plaster.

plaster easter egg vase

Overall I love the way this came out! I've never been huge on seasonal/holiday decorating but now that I've made this adorable table... I may have caught the bug. Not that I'm complaining, I'm all for any excuse to get crafty! If you have any must-try Spring decor ideas please let me know in the comments!

plaster easter egg vase

If you'd like to see more projects like this, cute farmhouse goodies, and yummy recipes check out my blog here!

Hayley ~ Tea & Sawdust

• Lindy

Adorable! What a great table for your guests to ouuuu and ahhhh over. How long do you think these cuties will last? I would think you could even put a small glass inside for real flowers if you want to do that type of decor. Love all you didi though.

• Hayley ~ Tea & Sawdust

Hi Lindy! Thank you so much!! I would say without any clear coat would last the season but wouldn't box well. But a few layers of varnish should harden it to save for next Easter!  Honestly this project was so quick and easy, I wouldn't mind making another one next year.

• Joan

Could you pour quilters to us outside?

• Miss Amanda

I want to save this project, but the ads on the bottom of my phone will not let me get to the heart. I just realized - after months - this ❤️ is for saving projects. Do you know how to get in touch with Hometalk & let them know that I am having this problem? Surely I am not the only one.

• Hayley ~ Tea & Sawdust

Hi Amanda! Thank you so much for letting us know! Your experience as a user is super important, so if you could email support@hometalk.com and let them know, they will know how to take care of the issue!