Milk-house Window Shutters and Planter From Scrap Wood.

$20
1 Day

Last Summer, I decided to add some much needed TLC to our little milk house.

Rummaging around our scrap wood pile, looking for pieces of wood to making ‘something’ with, I got the idea to whip up some shutters for the front window of the milk house! I have never made shutters before, and I honestly didn’t really know what I was doing, but using my handy DIY gene, I think I did a pretty great job!

I measured , of course, twice right? I cut four boards the same length, these would serve as the main shutter, then I measured four more boards, which would serve as the cross pieces that will hold the shutters together and add the final character.

After assembled, I went over the shutter twice with Minwax Polyurethane and stain in black, let dry and attached to the milk house using wood screws.

Also, kind of like the book, ‘If you give a mouse a cookie,’ my projects always spiral into other projects. After building and installing the shutters, I realized the window still needed a little something more. I then got the idea for a window box planter, and was planning to build one out of scrap wood or find something cool to re-purpose into a planter, when I came across an old white cornice that I had removed from above our living room window upon moving into our house.

Perfect! I flipped it upside down, and screwed it onto the milk-house, under the window! Lined it with plastic lining, drilled in some holes, filled with dirt, robbed flowers from other planters I had, and it was complete!

See for yourself below what a difference something as simple as scrap wood and flowers can make!

Want to see more? Visit this post on my blog: https://anchoredway.com/2017/06/24/milk-house-curb-appeal-project/

Scrap wood- Before.
Shutters out of scrap wood.
Milkhouse before.

After.

Anchored Way Trading Co.

• Shelbi

What in the world is a milk house?

• Darlene Williman

My dad worked for a dairy farm that had a milk house and your correct that is where the milk is kept until it is either picked up by the milk plant or in my fathers case we processed it right there on that farm as they had their own dairy plant. Elmer (farm and dairy owner) had upgraded his milk house to having a very large stainless steel holding tank and pipe lines run to the dairy so we didn't have to haul the milk cans to the dairy. Milk cans are HEAVY when they're full.

• Brittney Hash

Considering you "had no idea" what you were doing, this is a beautiful upgrade! Just adorable!!

• Sherri Roll

This is a super cute idea for a shed or any building you want to just kick up the cute factor on. Even if you dont have a window, hang an old window and add from there! Thanks for sharing, it looks so good!