Carol
Carol
  • Trenton, NJ
Asked on Apr 12, 2019

What is the best way to get rid of mice?

OlivaCindy PatriceJoy30150932
+2

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET RIDE OF MICE OTHER THAN A CAT WHICH I THINK IS PERFECT, BUT THIS IS MY NEIGHBOR WHO DOESN'T LIKE CATS. HEARD IF YOU USE PEPPERMINT OIL ON COTTON BALLS PLACE EVERYWHERE IT WORKS. CORRECT ????/

• Jewellmartin

Not if the mice have already moved in and nested. I would not hesitate to use sticky traps for tiny mice, and real mouse traps (with the small bar that often breaks the necks of mice. Both of these come in larger sizes for rats. I also have used mouse and rat poison pellets. I’m tender with people, but not invaders with more feet than I have. Good luck!

• Dmholt4391

I've used Decon in the past. Put it up in the attic and wherever I saw signs of them.

• Joy30150932

You can use either cheese or peanut butter in mouse traps on the inside. Outside, you can set up a 5 gallon pail with a wire stretched across the top. On the wire you place a small plastic bottle or pop can and put some peanut butter on it. Place the pail, with about 3-4 inches of water in the bottom near an outside wall and run a small board up to the top of the pail, like a gang plank. Mice run up, try to get the PB and then fall in and drown as the tin or bottle spins.

• Cindy Patrice

No kill traps, check often, and let the mice go out in the field

• Oliva

What's attracting the mice? Access holes into your attic via unsecured louvers at gable ends, siding with cracks or holes, rotting wood, holes under garage door sweeps, etc?

Compost pile with poorly secured lid, bird or grass seed, pet foods or their feces will all attract mice. They enjoy hiding in taller grasses, wood or stone piles, heavy vegetation.

Locate the entry points, kill the mice, then seal the holes. Keep mulch away from your home's foundation to avoid giving them a place to hide.