Updating an IKEA Dresser Using Flamingo Fever Wallpaper

$55

I had an old chest of drawers from Ikea.

It housed my other half's clothes - his drawer if you like - before we moved in together.

I never really liked them. They were oak effect and didn't really fit in my room or my daughter's room which is now where it's found f it's new home.

It stood out like a sore thumb in a room full of white furniture.

I promised her I'd do something fun with it...

Boring Ikea chest of drawers

Like most little girls my 8 year old she is obsessed with flamingos and unicorn.

Her love for flamingos dates back to when she was 3. We went to a zoo and refused to leave the flamingo enclosure. She wanted to sit and watch them all day.

Fast forward nearly 6 years and she is still just in love with them. I decided with such a long lasting love affair, flamingos would be a safe bet (if she decides she hates them after this, I might disown her)

I found a print I thought would work well. Luckily I found it on eBay for £8.99 with free delivery. To my suprise it arrived within 3 days.

I bought some paint and some finishing spray for extra protection.

This project took me a long time to do.

Mainly because I hate lining up wallpaper and the chest was in use with all my daughter's belongings.

Basically I dragged my feet.

I started off with sanding the fronts drawer fronts and sides.

Then washed them down so there would be no dirt or greece on them.

Laying out the wallpaper I drew around the drawers and cut out the shapes.

I put modge podge glue over one of the cut out sections of paper and smoothed it over the drawer.

Repeat till each is covered.

I used a kitchen utensil from pamper chef. (No idea what it was meant to be for but it's great on wallpaper) using a sponge works too.

Next you will need to line the paper up before cutting.

I found that sticking the paper to the drawer front first was easier to line up the pattern. Then once dry, turning over onto a flat surface and using a Stanley knife to cut around the drawer.

I then chose to paint the rest.

Due to the material the chest is coated in I used rough sanding paper and gently rubbed against the surface.

Because Frenchic paint is thick it covers this without showing and of the grooves.

Pre paint

I also painted around the edges of the drawers too.

Drawers finished

I have a few coats of paint. Extra layers where I felt would get used/knocked the most.

Once dry I sprayed it all with a glitter finishing spray. This will ensure the paint doesn't chip. Plus she loves glitter.

I used this finishing spray

This has a very fine glitter so it shimmers rather then sparkles. It's subtle therefore tasteful.

Finished

• N. G. Londonderry

You said you “painted the rest” of the bureau. However the sides don’t appear to be just one shade of pink. How did you get the effect there?

• Susan

What was daughters reaction?

• Natasha|Revamp_interior

She was very happy with it.

I really dragged my feet, stopping and starting it, so I didn't get a wow seeing as she'd seen most of it in stages but yeah she loves it.

Thanks x

• Tam 15076171

I too was wondering what your daughters reaction was? If she doesn't like I'll buy it and you can send it to Texas LOL cause I love it it is "very chic" as someone else said I have never seen wallpaper like that. To me this is a piece that she can even have in her room as a teen too because it is so chic looking. Good Job! Mom.

• Peggy

This is so stinking adorable! I love it. I have an ikea dresser and you’ve given me some awesome ideas!

• Trudy

Your daughter had better love it FOREVER! Cuz we all do!