Repurpose Old Tires

$15

I took my car to the auto repair shop, and was told I need to replace my tires.

The mechanic told me that they are not re-using the tires, just throwing them in the dumpster.

repurpose old tires

I don't usually consider myself an environmentalist, but I couldn't be a part of this... so I took the tires home with me.

repurpose old tires

I washed them carefully with the hose, while the dogs came sniffing around. It took several washes to make them clean enough. 

I let each tire dry out for 10 hours before I covered it with paint.

repurpose old tires

I purchased light-blue wall paint (which was already mixed with primer) and applied the first layer of paint using a thick brush on a cardboard I placed on our garden table (so I won't mind if it would get messy)

With the help of my neighbor, we placed the tire to dry out in the sun. After about 6 hours we were able to apply the second layer.

As I wanted a light color so it would pop-out in the garden, I had to make sure the paint wasn't thinned out by anything, otherwise, I would have a darker shade or I would have had to apply several layers.

repurpose old tires

The tires needed 24 hours to dry out completely. During that time, we asked a tall neighbor to help us with the chain. We hanged it from the rooftop, so everything will be ready and waiting for the tires.

we made a loop using a Carabiner. I thought it would make things easier if we would like to change the height of the tire in the future.

repurpose old tires

We hanged tires from both sides of the pole,

In the middle of each tire, we place a mixed soil for plants and took planted twigs from flowers we already had in the garden

All the tires on the left got white and red flowers while the ones on the right got purple and white flowers.

repurpose old tires

The final product after a few days in the sun

repurpose old tires

Close up :)

repurpose old tires

Different angle

repurpose old tires

Ta Da!