How to Make Solar Lights Shine Bright Again

$8

I love solar lights and have them everywhere! I tend to get really disappointed when they no longer work. Sometimes, the panel on the top just needs a good cleaning! Here is an easy, inexpensive and foolproof way to make those lights shine again!

how to make solar lights shine bright again

This solar lantern was only a couple of years old when it stopped working. I tried everything: clear nail polish, a cleaner for plastic, etc. Nothing worked!

The panel (or lens) on the top was cloudy from being baked in the sun. This happens to all solar light panels.

All it took was a bit of 800 grit automotive sandpaper dipped in water to restore the panel. I tried a finer grit to buff the panel but that seemed to make it cloudy again... 800 grit is what worked the best and it can be found in any auto parts store.

With another small tweak (see the blog post for more information), the light shines bright again just like it did when I first bought it!

I still love this light and hope to use it for at least another couple of years!

Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• Bren

Where did you get this unique solar light? I love the “cage” that it’s in.

• Della Robbins

I have the exact same lanterns on our patio and I replaced the batteries, but still didn't work, so I'm going to try your trick! The light at the bottom that you turn on works, but I'm excited to revive these unique lanterns! Where did you find the tube for the inside, mine has yellowed too and needs to be replaced? Thank you so much!!

• Karen

I can’t find your blog post to get the further information.

• Cait

Read your blog but still don't know what the 'tweak' was to make the solar light work again. What did you do to finish the project please. Thanks.

• I washed it with soap and water after buffing and replaced the center cylinder with opaque mylar because the plastic yellowed ... Hope this helps!

• Hellen Cullen

The solar lights in are yard were getting that yellow haze on it too and I decided to try my husband (Purple Power solution and it really works. We did all the solar panels. You can buy it almost anywhere. Cost about $5.00 a gal.

• CORINNE
    Yesterday

I want to try this!