EASY DIY Board and Batten-Bathroom Makeover

$200

Our 3 kids share the "guest" bathroom; it’s a small mauve cave with no natural light and the builder grade orange oak trim and cabinets the rest of the house had. I didn’t have a clear direction for it until recently when I decided two things. I wanted the space to have some sort of character, and to brighten the space up as much as possible.

I chose to do a simple DIY board and batten wall treatment. It was surprisingly easy, inexpensive and made a really big impact in this small space. Let me show you how we did it…

Start by removing all the hardware from the walls. Be sure to patch any holes to prep it for paint.

Now it's time to start adding the board and batten. Grab your pieces of wood, your level and your nail gun. Start on the bottom (with the new baseboard) and work your way up.

I marked out even spacing around the room, my vertical pieces turned out to be about 16" apart.

Using the nail gun (no glue needed!) I just attached the pieces to the wall.

Before adding your top panels to complete the rectangles, go in and paint. The panels will help hide the lines, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Add your top paneling like before and then caulk and paint the interior.

It’s amazing how a little decor (even in the bathroom) will really tie a space together. I chose to use a scrap piece of barn wood and these black brackets for a shelf.  

A few weeks prior I painted the vanity an off-white color (to match the tub, sink, and toilet). I decided the board and batten should match.

Instead of chalk paint though, I used General Finishes Reverent Gray and this fantastic chrome hardware. 

These hooks hold a ton of stuff and give that rustic, farmhouse look. Every other week they are half off as well, so wait for a sale before you buy them! 

So the board and batten was painted in a color match to GF Reverent Gray. The top of the walls were painted in BM Hale Navy; a rich, dark navy that was the perfect contrast to the lighter wall treatment.  

With a little imagination, a little inspiration and of course, some paint – this bathroom is transformed. 

Like this makeover? Check out the video above for more details on how we did it…

Love painting tutorials? Catch me on YouTube where I walk you through various painting projects plus review several paint products.

New to painting furniture? Here's my {FREE} Furniture 101 ebook.

until next time,

Jenni

25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Jenni Ingram

• Maureen

Awesome bathroom makeover.

Thank you for sharing ❤️

• Ruth

You made it look easy. You have inspired me!