Susan Davia
Susan Davia
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Colorado Springs, CO

Small Water Feature

$50

after years of trying to grow veggies in this bedding area...I quit and put in a new feature ...a garden with a small water pond.

so this is what was...it was not getting enough sun,plus the stary cats and squirrels would dig everything up, so after 3 years I trying I quit.

1st step of course was buying a liner and pump and then digging a hole....once it was all dug out we set the liner in and put some water in it and made sure it was all level...

Once enough water was in the pond for weight we backfilled around the liner

Now we started to install the water pump which circulates through a duck water spitter…(am thinking of getting another one perhaps a frog)

decorations water plants and other plants to fill in the area

we are still going to add more plants

little by little I am adding more flowers and plants and mulching around it...

and this is why...love the sound of running water and birds

put rocks around the edge

and plants are growing nicely.

adding more flowers

• Lisa West

You did a great job. Sorry you couldnt get veggies to grow. How ever you do have a beautiful place to relax on the morning and evening or just any time of the day. So jealous lol. Enjoy and make many memories. I made a pond years ago. Frogs moved in. I thought it was great to. Lol it was b ih ce just to sit there with my ice tea on a hot summer day. Peacful until the kids came out side lol.

• Susan Davia

hi and thank you...we are going to attract frogs too..I have some in my back yard in the large pond there along with fish,turtles and ducks....

• Shirley

I really like it! Water is so relaxing and the spout coming from the duck helps to put negative ions into the air in the area making it more relaxing. Are you going to put

rocks around the outside of it so the black plastic edge doesn't show?

• Julie
    18 hours ago

I love this! So peaceful and beautiful. I have to say though, that this is totally out of my realm of experience. So two questions:

First, is the liner a formed plastic pool or is it a plastic sheet that you form into the shape you want? You mentioned that you can pull it out easily to clean it, so I wouldn’t expect that the formed plastic would be easy to remove especially if you have rocks over the edges, But the picture looks as though it is a pool.

Second question is about the water pump. This is a freestanding pump that you plug into an electrical outlet that just circulates the water, right? You have to fill it up with a hose and keep refilling as evaporation occurs. Am I correct?

Thanks very much! You did an awesome job with this project!

• Susan Davia
      31 minutes ago

hi.....1st it is a plastic formed pond liner (much like a kiddie pool)...and to clean it would be as easy as moving the rocks taking the water out and cleaning the liner IF NEEDED.....for fish or plants though you really do not need to do that as both like some good beneficial bacterial growth...as for the pump it is a small water pump for fountains/ponds, not what you would use in an aquarium....so you would need to run electricity for it...I have yet to add any water some came naturally from rain but if you live in an area where it will evap quickly just adding via through any garden hose....

• Shirley

It really came out nice! It is very natural looking ! Great place to sit and relax while enjoying the sound of the water!! The plants are also really pretty.

• I was thinking of putting a pond in a similar area of my yard. I can only get shade loving plants there. You have inspired me to actually do it. Yours is beautiful!