Ladder Herb Garden

$15
1 Day

I’m pretty obsessed with ladders right now. I have blanket ladders in almost ever room of my house. I recently made a potting bench out of old pallets and had a leftover portion of a pallet that resembled a ladder! It was far too rough to be used in the house, but it was too rustic chic to not be taken advantage of! I’ve gotten into herbs lately, and though my green thumb is still young in its development, I decided this would be the cutest little ladder garden! This ladder would be quite easy to duplicate if you don’t happen to have a pallet ladder just laying around! I’ll go over that here as well! This is the perfect little garden if you are limited on the amount of green space you have available! You really could plant just about anything in here you wanted, flowers outdoors, house plants indoors, herbs inside or out! I love how versatile this is!

Pallet "ladder" prior to modifications

Supplies: (if you have a wooden ladder handy)

-ladder

-oblong or rectangle plastic planters

-spray paint if you don’t love the color of the planter already

-potting soil

-herbs or plants of choice

-wood screws

-drill with acre driving bits

if building the ladder :

-2x4 cedar or presssure treated for the legs

-1x4 cedar or pressure treated for the rungs

To build the ladder cut the 2 2x4s to whatever height you choose, mine is 6 foot tall, if you can use one board for the 2 of them that works too! Then cut the rungs from your 1x4s at 12 inches each, you want them to be about a 10-12” apart so cut as many as you can fit on yours. Attach each 1x4 board to the top of the 2 x4s to create your ladder!

Dollar tree for the win! comp item link below

I got my planters from the dollar tree! They were a terra-cotta color, which wasn’t my taste so I gave them 2 coats of white spray paint. Make sure they have adequate drainage, mine required that I drill holes in them. Was quick and easy, but if you get the dollar tree planters, go slow, they crack easily!

Faux terra-cotta had to go!

Once they are dry it’s time to attach them! I attached each with 3 -1 inch wood screws.

Time to plant! Add potting soil to each planter and add in your plants of choice! All my herbs were rooted clippings that I water propagated, it was a super fun little science project with my little helper seen in these project photos! I’ll post a tutorial soon on how to water propagate and a few neat decorative ways to do it! Hopefully these little plant babies will thrive now that they are planted!

I recruited a little helper for the lower pot

They would also be super cute with lables!

And that’s it! You now have your own little herb garden without having to have a lot of space to do it!

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
15 Memorial Day Crafts
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas

• Christy Anderson

Super cute idea! I wonder how long before the elements dry out the plastic bins and the fall off? Maybe an L bracket attached to the ladder and the bottom of the planter (at the same place it’s attached now but give the bottom of each planter support as well) would help to keep the planters from eventually breaking off?? Something that will help the planters continue to hold weight over time as the plastic degrades.

• Rita G. Cooper

I'm thinking about attaching wire baskets that the planters will fit in. That way when the planters start to show aging, I can just replace the cheap planters with ease. And if cost is an issue, you can make your own wire baskets out of used fencing. We scavenged some of that at a local building that was being torn down. The workers were more than happy to let us have it.

• Valerie Boss

With plants in the planters how did they not Crack since you have to becareful when putting drain holes in?

• Rita Cano

Do you have something with pallets with this same idea.