Vinyl Tablecloth Kitchen Table Makeover

$2

It's pretty easy to give a dated and worn old kitchen table a whole new look with just a vinyl tablecloth and some decoupage medium.

post

Here's the before of my vintage dining table. It has great bones, but was showing some wear after being used for years.

It was time to give my table a fun and funky makeover to go with the rest of my kitchen.

post

To start the makeover I gave the whole table a light sanding with a sanding block, preparing for painting.

post

I painted the top white and the legs and skirt the same blue as the chairs. The reason I painted the top is because I wasn't sure if the wood underneath would show through the vinyl tablecloth.

Whenever using a decoupage medium I always like to start with white underneath, just to keep things nice and bright.

post

Here's the fabulous vinyl tablecloth that I found at my local dollar store. I really needed to add some floral to my aqua and red kitchen, and this was perfect.

post

After spreading it out on the table I cut it down closer to the actual size that I needed.

post

This just made it easier to work with.

post

I decided to remove the flannel backing of the vinyl tablecloth. To see how I did this check out my Kitchen Table Makeover blog post here.

post

I spread the decoupage medium over half of the table and folded the tablecloth over that.

I had to move really fast because the medium can dry very quickly.

post

I smoothed it out with my hands and with my brayer.

I did the same to the other half of the table.

post

When it was all dry I trimmed the tablecloth, following the decorative lip of the table.

post

To finish it off I applied two top coats or the decoupage medium, letting it dry completely in between.

post

Here's the before, after my kitchen chairs makeover.

post

And here's the after. It's so easy to clean because of the vinyl, and the two coats of decoupage medium give it some extra protection.

To see more pics, tips, and how I removed the flannel backing before applying the tablecloth to the table please check out my Kitchen Table Makeover post on my blog here.

Tuula McPhee

• Marlene

Love this! When you were trimming, how did you avoid scratching the table?

• Tuula McPhee

Thanks Marlene! I had to be very careful. lol. It's best to go slightly on an angle, sort of away from the edge, and just letting the knife gently do the work for you.

• Lana

Does the decoupage keep the tablecloth from fading?

• Tuula McPhee

I don't really know for sure Lana. All I can say is that I did something similar to a night stand about 5 years ago and it still looks great. I'm hopeful that this will last just as well.

• Tim Tockey Cindy Willson

Does the decoupage not come off when you wash the top of the table?

• I’ve looked through your blog but I can’t find the brand and name of the paint you used on your cabinets. I am in love with this color! I love your whole kitchen. Please tell me the name of the paint you used.

• Tuula McPhee
      9 minutes ago

Hi Helleana! The paint for the cupboards is called Enchanted Evening and it's made by Beauti-tone. It's a very happy aqua blue. I added some white to it to lighten it up for the kitchen tables and chairs and the china cabinet too.

• HELEN
    8 hours ago

I as well, want to know the color and brand. I love the POP of red with blue.

• Tuula McPhee
      9 minutes ago

Hi Helen! Blue and red has always been a favorite combo of mine too. The blue is called Enchanted Evening and it's made by Beauti-tone.