Vinyl Tablecloth Kitchen Table Makeover

$2

It's pretty easy to give a dated and worn old kitchen table a whole new look with just a vinyl tablecloth and some decoupage medium.

Here's the before of my vintage dining table. It has great bones, but was showing some wear after being used for years.

It was time to give my table a fun and funky makeover to go with the rest of my kitchen.

To start the makeover I gave the whole table a light sanding with a sanding block, preparing for painting.

I painted the top white and the legs and skirt the same blue as the chairs. The reason I painted the top is because I wasn't sure if the wood underneath would show through the vinyl tablecloth.

Whenever using a decoupage medium I always like to start with white underneath, just to keep things nice and bright.

Here's the fabulous vinyl tablecloth that I found at my local dollar store. I really needed to add some floral to my aqua and red kitchen, and this was perfect.

After spreading it out on the table I cut it down closer to the actual size that I needed.

This just made it easier to work with.

I decided to remove the flannel backing of the vinyl tablecloth. To see how I did this check out my Kitchen Table Makeover blog post here.

I spread the decoupage medium over half of the table and folded the tablecloth over that.

I had to move really fast because the medium can dry very quickly.

I smoothed it out with my hands and with my brayer.

I did the same to the other half of the table.

When it was all dry I trimmed the tablecloth, following the decorative lip of the table.

To finish it off I applied two top coats or the decoupage medium, letting it dry completely in between.

Here's the before, after my kitchen chairs makeover.

And here's the after. It's so easy to clean because of the vinyl, and the two coats of decoupage medium give it some extra protection.

To see more pics, tips, and how I removed the flannel backing before applying the tablecloth to the table please check out my Kitchen Table Makeover post on my blog here.

20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

• Susans
    Susans

Could you use oilcloth?

• Pam
    Pam

Just a curiosity question...how long will it last with regular use of the table (eating, dinner prep, etc)? It's beautiful by the way-LOVE it.

• Tuula - Color Me Thrifty
      Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

Thanks Pam! How long it lasts really depends on how much abuse the tabletop takes. I've had mine for almost 3 years now and it still looks good, but it's just me and my husband. I used placemats before I did my tabletop so I still do that now. Also, I always use potholders if I put anything hot on the table. I hope that helps.

• Deborah Finch
    Deborah Finch

Hello

I have a question I have been wanting to do almost the same thing but I have wrapping paper I'm going to use. I'm wanting to do it to my craft table. But I make cards and I'm wanting to know if the texture of the table has changed. I do a lot of coloring so i'm wanting the smoothness of a table top. Is it still smooth? ir does it have a texture now?

By the way I love the colors! I have teal and pink in my kitchen. I say do what makes you happy!!

• Robyn Garner
      Robyn Garner

You could always put a flat piece of plexi on the area you use to color.