Pallet Vertical Succulent Garden

I have been wanting to do this project for over a year. This pallet has literally been sitting in my backyard just waiting for me to get motivated....and I am thankful I finally did! After much Pinterest educating, I tackled this long overdue project....can you tell I love succulents this now is the 4th or 5th succulent project I have made!
Supplies:
Pallet
Landscaping Fabric
Staple Gun
5 Cubic feet of Dirt (I bought the kind specific for succulents)
Succulents
Step 1: Obtain a Pallet. I am sure there are several ways you can obtain them for free. Here in San Diego we seem to have them in every alley, so once I saw this one in decent shape I scooped it up. I stained it a dark color, before I started and I am glad I did it makes the green of the succulents really Pop! Also sand down any really jagged edges.
Step 2: Take your Landscaping fabric, measure it out the size of your pallet. I measured mine out 3 times the size I needed so I could fold it over upon itself and thus creating a thicker barrier.
Step 3: Staple the heck out of it. staple everywhere. Especially focus on the bottom and the sides making sure it is tightly fixed.
Step:4 Place Pallet flat on the ground, opening side up. ***IMPORTANT*** place your pallet as close to where you want to permanently place it, because it will be VERY heavy. I was shocked it took 2 grown men to move my pallet about a yard and it was a strenuous activity.
Step 5: Add dirt. Maybe it was because my pallet was larger then others, but I went through 5 bags of dirt! I saw a tutorial that only called for one, so I bought 2, then I had to go to the store for more....then again for more...totaling 5 bags. So I recommend if you don't want to make several trips get more then you need! Pack it in nice and tight especially on the bottom.
Step 6: Add Succulents. My pallet garden is thankfully made entirely from cuttings I was able to get them from neighbors, family, friends and even my own yard and I still keep adding to it! This was a HUGE save on cost!
Step 7: Ideally let it sit for a few weeks in order to allow plants to root before moving it vertical. I waited about a week though, and it was fine.
Succulents do not need to watered a ton, maybe once a week. Enjoy your vertical pallet garden.

Cassie Kent

• Margie White

How do you protect the succulents when the weather turns cold

• Christine

Does anyone see a problem doing this in the fall and wintering over in NJ? They’ll have time to stabilize in their new home. I just can’t see succulents wintering over in 0 degree weather as it can get here. Mostly it’s in the thirties though. And leaning it strategically against the house where wind doesn’t usually blow against, it might be okay. I could wrap it. I could garage it. Any problems you see that I don’t?

• Sherrie

I live in Trenton NJ. I've found perenial succulents at Lowe's that are tolerant for our winter's. They will go dormant, but come back every spring. Every spring I'm surprised how wonderfully they return.

• Kathy

Yes I will. And I think I will put it on a piece of plywood with wheels so that will be portable some how. ?

Thank you for sharing..

• Diane

I have a pallet I want to use for this project. I think I will grow low annual, I live upstate New York and get snow. Thanks for posting! And thanks for telling us it will be heavy to move.

• Pia rawls

Yes I will!