Pallet Vertical Succulent Garden

I have been wanting to do this project for over a year. This pallet has literally been sitting in my backyard just waiting for me to get motivated....and I am thankful I finally did! After much Pinterest educating, I tackled this long overdue project....can you tell I love succulents this now is the 4th or 5th succulent project I have made!
pallet vertical succulent garden, flowers, gardening, pallet, repurposing upcycling, succulents
Supplies:
Pallet
Landscaping Fabric
Staple Gun
5 Cubic feet of Dirt (I bought the kind specific for succulents)
Succulents
Step 1: Obtain a Pallet. I am sure there are several ways you can obtain them for free. Here in San Diego we seem to have them in every alley, so once I saw this one in decent shape I scooped it up. I stained it a dark color, before I started and I am glad I did it makes the green of the succulents really Pop! Also sand down any really jagged edges.
Step 2: Take your Landscaping fabric, measure it out the size of your pallet. I measured mine out 3 times the size I needed so I could fold it over upon itself and thus creating a thicker barrier.
Step 3: Staple the heck out of it. staple everywhere. Especially focus on the bottom and the sides making sure it is tightly fixed.
Step:4 Place Pallet flat on the ground, opening side up. ***IMPORTANT*** place your pallet as close to where you want to permanently place it, because it will be VERY heavy. I was shocked it took 2 grown men to move my pallet about a yard and it was a strenuous activity.
Step 5: Add dirt. Maybe it was because my pallet was larger then others, but I went through 5 bags of dirt! I saw a tutorial that only called for one, so I bought 2, then I had to go to the store for more....then again for more...totaling 5 bags. So I recommend if you don't want to make several trips get more then you need! Pack it in nice and tight especially on the bottom.
Step 6: Add Succulents. My pallet garden is thankfully made entirely from cuttings I was able to get them from neighbors, family, friends and even my own yard and I still keep adding to it! This was a HUGE save on cost!
Step 7: Ideally let it sit for a few weeks in order to allow plants to root before moving it vertical. I waited about a week though, and it was fine.
Succulents do not need to watered a ton, maybe once a week. Enjoy your vertical pallet garden.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 18, 2018 11:43 PM - More info
Cassie Kent

• John Jansen

is the fabric water proof i want to lean it against the house

• Roger

Landscaping fabric is not water proof. It is designed to allow water to penetrate but keep weeds from growing through. If you need water proof back it with a good heavy plastic between the planter and the house to protect the house. I would also use a spacer to prevent it from actually touching the house as much as possible.

• Janet Pickett

What do you do with it in the winter?

• Teri Vrieling Geston

I believe she said she lives in San Diego. We don't have much for winter here. Wish I had an answer for those who live in colder climates. Sorry

• Mikie

look's very kewl, nice job.

• Jua31977473

Beautiful!

• Kst7964073

sooo pretty, will try only one question, how will it do in the winter? I would need two so it"s important to me to know about the winter. please respond asap.