Easy Bifold Door Upgrade

$63

Bifold doors aren't the greatest looking way to close off your closet, but in many cases, due to odd sizes or lack of clearance, they are the best or only option. If you already have hollow core doors, this is a great way to spruce them up and modernize their look. This is also a great option if you're starting from scratch but want to keep costs down and don't want spend on a more expensive, solid door.

I started with your basic flat, unfinished, oak veneer door and round wood knob. Remove the hinges and any other hardware.

For each two-panel door, buy four 1/4 x 1 3/4 x 8' pine flat lattice moulding.

Cut the mouldings so they frame the edges of the door but are 1/8" from the edges on all sides.

Spread a bead of glue on each moulding.

Clamp the mouldings along the outside of the doors 1/8" from the edge. You're looking at all the clamps I have at the moment, so I had to do two pieces at a time and wait until they dried to move on.

I also used 1" wire brads to help secure the mouldings. Pound them in and use a nail punch to make sure they are slightly below flush. If you have an automatic brad nailer, even better! Fill the holes with wood putty after the nails are in.

Run some caulk along the edges of the mouldings.

Prime and paint the doors. I used one coat of primer and two coats of white, glossy moulding paint to give the door a bit of shine.

I also added new door hardware. The door pulls make such a difference, and I just don't like the round wood knobs.

It's a quick and easy upgrade! Here is the finished product.

If you have paint and primer this will only cost you about $25. If you need to buy the paint and primer, it'll be roughly $60, and you'll have plenty left over. Follow me on Instagram at   @woodyworking for more simple woodworking DIY or home improvement projects.

• Ozzy

Did you have to rough up the doors before primer was used? I have doors that need doing, but wasn't sure if I needed to rough sand them.

• I didn’t in this case. The veneer coat accepted the primer well. I’ve done other doors in our home that already had paint on them, and I did have to sand those down first - but in this case I didn’t and it worked well.

• Cheryl

Great upgrade! I really want to do this because I have several ugly bifold doors in my house. My problem is that I’m afraid to remove them from their tracks because I’m afraid I won’t be able to get them back on. Is there a way to do this without removing the doors? Again, your doors look amazing!

• Hi Cheryl! I don't think you'd be able to add the trim without removing the doors. You could paint them without removing them though. I'm not sure how old your doors are, but most of bifold doors are pretty easy to get in and out. Good luck!

• Amy Pastor

Love the borders, the molding. This completely changes the look.

Great upgrade. They look amazing. What a difference some molding makes. Now they have class.