Stair Makeover With Paint and a Runner

$120

Yup, I painted my stairs..and added a runner and I am a little obsessed with the way they came out!

My wood stairs were not bad before, we had already stained them a darker color when we moved in, but with two small children we needed to add some traction and warm it up some with a runner.

But first, I painted them. With the runner I wanted I it didn't look right with the stain color. So I painted them. I love how much it brightens up the whole entry way.

It really makes the wood tone of the floor really stand out and look crips and clean.

Plus, I only painted the stairs where it would show...so if later down the line I wanted the wood back it wouldn't be such a project to strip the whole stair.

I purchased two runners that I knew would fit. They are are also indoor/outdoor carpets so they would be easier to clean as well.

Using a staple gun, I attached it at the top then did a few staples on the sides and in the back.

What was left on the bottom, I cut with a utility knife and then tucked it into trim.

That was it! I love the after and how bright it is now!

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Tara Boettger

• Deb

I’m all thumbs with no skills. Can you come and do mine?

• Michele

Very pretty, where did you purchase the runner and what size is it?

• Jeanne Martin

Home Depot has really low prices when they have a sale on them too. I got 2 runners there really cheap!

• John Grimley

Did this years ago, I bought a couple of hallway runners from a local DiY shed. Certainly made a huge difference to the noise levels. Although I stapled the runner to the stairs, I wouldn't have minded using the old-fashioned stair runners although maybe I could use a simple net curtain rod?