Tara Boettger
Tara Boettger
  • Pleasant Valley, NY

Stair Makeover With Paint and a Runner

$120

Yup, I painted my stairs..and added a runner and I am a little obsessed with the way they came out!

My wood stairs were not bad before, we had already stained them a darker color when we moved in, but with two small children we needed to add some traction and warm it up some with a runner.

But first, I painted them. With the runner I wanted I it didn't look right with the stain color. So I painted them. I love how much it brightens up the whole entry way.

It really makes the wood tone of the floor really stand out and look crips and clean.

Plus, I only painted the stairs where it would show...so if later down the line I wanted the wood back it wouldn't be such a project to strip the whole stair.

I purchased two runners that I knew would fit. They are are also indoor/outdoor carpets so they would be easier to clean as well.

Using a staple gun, I attached it at the top then did a few staples on the sides and in the back.

What was left on the bottom, I cut with a utility knife and then tucked it into trim.

That was it! I love the after and how bright it is now!

Tara Boettger

• Deb

I’m all thumbs with no skills. Can you come and do mine?

• Michele

Very pretty, where did you purchase the runner and what size is it?

• Jeanne Martin
      11 minutes ago

Home Depot has really low prices when they have a sale on them too. I got 2 runners there really cheap!

• John Grimley

Did this years ago, I bought a couple of hallway runners from a local DiY shed. Certainly made a huge difference to the noise levels. Although I stapled the runner to the stairs, I wouldn't have minded using the old-fashioned stair runners although maybe I could use a simple net curtain rod?