Homemade Lavender & Eucalyptus Candles

$20

You might not ever go to Yankee Candle again when you find out how easy it is to make your own candle. I've got the easy step by step process for your own custom candles.

STEP 1

Melt the wax flakes.  I did this in a homemade double boiler on the stove.  By homemade I mean I just stuck one pot on top of another.  If you have an actual double boiler feel free to use that.

To make the three smallish candles I made, I used about 3.5 cups of wax flakes.  Luckily the wax flakes melt super quickly, so if you haven’t melted down enough to fill your candles, just melt some more.

Step 2

Add your essential oils to the melted wax on the stove.  It’s usually recommended in most tutorials to do about 15 drops of essential oil. 

I did 20 of each.I like smells.

STEP 3

While your wax is melting or add your wick to the container.  Put a tiny bit of the melted wax at the bottom of the container, stick the wick in that trying very very hard not to burn your fingers because melted wax doesn’t feel good, I don’t care what those R&B videos try to tell you.

STEP 4

Pour your wax into your vessel.STEP 5

Allow the wax to dry.

I don’t know about you, but I got a bunch of other essential oils when I ordered the eucalptus and mint and I’m going to see if I can come up with some new scent combinations.  So, I’m making more candles.

I’d love to hear what combinations you came up with.  What did you use for a vessel for your candle? 

Marybeth Santos

• Doreen

i haven’t done it yet, but I saw someone use old tea cups. You can get really cheap & ornate ones at the flea market. Just a thought ..

• Karen B

I love this. I have made my own candles before. They are great as gifts and people are surprised you made your own. Safety first. If you are smart, you'll never work with hot anything with small children close by you.