Modern Farmhouse Christmas Village Display

$25

Here's a fun Modern Farmhouse Christmas Village Display you can use as a Table Centerpiece, on a buffet, or even your hearth. I used cheap and pretty easy to find ornament and crafting supplies to make this pretty Christmas Village. BUT, you don't need to use exactly what I have. Look through the ornaments and decorations you already have to see if you can use them in a NEW WAY to create your own Modern Farmhouse Christmas Village. :)

Here's how I did it...

Watch this video to see me put mine together.

Start with a wood board. Mine is about 16" x 32". But, you can use whatever size fits your table or hearth. This is a cedar board I found locally for just $5! You can also use Pine boards from your local Home Depot or Lowes.

First, sand and seal the board with 2 coats of a water-based polyurethane. Follow the directions on the container of your poly to apply it.

Once that dries, apply your "snow". I used a foam brush to apply white craft paint. I gave the front of the display a wavy, uneven edge to look more like natural snow.

After a couple coats of white paint dried, I applied matte modpodge in 3 different sections and quickly sprinkled on confetti snow to make it stick. You can see me do this and all the other steps in the video above. :)

Now, for more color and fun, I loosely wrapped embroidery floss, Christmas Twine and gift wrapping twine I had around about half of the bottle brush trees I used. No need to glue. The twine kinda sticks between all the brush bristles.

Also, I recommend using a variety of sizes and styles of bottle brush trees for a more realistic, interesting look. These are really cheap and easy to find this time of year.

I had 3 little Christmas Village house I found at the Target Dollar spot. I glued on mini wreaths to add some color to them. You could also use traditional Christmas Village houses, craft house, or even bird houses. Whatever you have already or can easily find can work.

BE SURE to put the houses in place first. I think it's easier to create a balanced display by adding the biggest pieces first, working down to the smallest items last.

I also put a little LED tea light inside each house. I had these on hand too, but they're pretty cheap at somewhere like Walmart or on Amazon. Just make sure it's LED so that it doesn't heat up and become a fire hazard.

So, other than the houses and the bottle brush trees, I used 3 vintage red vehicle ornaments I already had. You can find similar ones just about anywhere. These are from Target. OR, you can look at the ornaments you have to see if you have something else that would work. Like, little reindeer ornaments or even your kids toy trucks.

It's a pretty simple design. Mostly a bunch of bottle brush trees, a few houses, a few cars, and some tea lights. It's just the way you put it together that makes it all the sudden something special. :)

I finished mine off with 2 mini snowman and 1 mini Santa ornament. You can see more pictures and details about everything I used on my blog post.

After making sure I had everything where I liked it, I used a dot of hot glue to hold it in place. That way I can remove them if I ever want to, but my little kids won't be able to walk away with any of the pieces.

You can see more of my Easy Farmhouse Inspired DIY Christmas Projects here.

Stephanie Abbott

• Ruby Mora

I have s Christmas village. I used to put it up every year, but I havent had anyplace to put it the past few years and pieces have begun to disappear. But I think I will find it and glue it to a board that xan be moved around. Thanks for the idea.

• Barb

Right up my alley! I put up assorted miniatures every year and spend more time moving them around, it's like I'm a kid playing with a doll house, but it brings back happy memories to a time when my children did this with me.