How to Transform an Old Coffee Table Into a Piece of Functional Art

$15

I love transforming vintage pieces and creating new colourful life into them and this little table found its way into my home from an on line auction site for just £9

Vintage table

I have the idea to make a square feature and begin by covering the table surface with plain white paper to allow a key base for tiles to stick to and also it helps me with a blank fresh base to design on to.i begin using vitreous 1cm square tiles in black for the border edge and stick with pva.

Vitreous glass tiles create the borders

I use green and yellow colour palette to contrast with the black. I glue the tiles in once I’ve measured the window frames distances to make them balance .

Create window style frame

I love the boldness and colourful contrast and keep selecting tiles that are pre cut and easy to lay. The pva glue dries in about 1 hr .

Adding more colours

I continue adding tiles and work out how I want the centre of each square. You can choose any number of combinations to make a unique piece.

Nearly finished

The last few tiles go on and I adjust a few that are wonky. The next stage is to leave to dry over night so its firmly stuck in place before the grouting process.

Ready to grout

I use ready mix black and a piece of plastic card to apply working it into all the gaps. And wiping the excess off as I go around edges

Add grout to tiles and work in gaps

Continue to work grout into the grooves and then wipe clean with cloth or Wet wipes.

Grout the tiles

A good clean up of the tiles thoroughly remove any excess grout covering the tiles.

Cleaning the excess grout

The amazing design is revealed and beautiful coffee table is ready to be useful and admired again.

Mosaic upcycled table
Mosaic upcycled coffee table
Mosaic coffee table

To see more: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/750641870/through-the-square-window-coffee-table?ref=shop_home_active_36&frs=1

• Lora

what did you use to attach the white paper to table?

• Linda

What is the purpose of the white paper? Just to give a blank surface? When I first saw the original table I thought not much could be done but you made a wonderful improvement . Good job!

• Joanie

Good Game room table. Nice and a good look!!

• Gi
    Yesterday

Hello! What can you recommend i put on the edge? I have a table that has the curved edge. Thank you.

• Susan Goode
      29 minutes ago

Small size glass tiles that fit the size or mirror tile pieces perhaps? Glass beads the ones you get from dollar stores ? Experiment with ideas but you need to be aware of sharp edges and grout well in between the tiles .