Saving Baby Spider Plants

$1
2 Weeks

Spider plants are a great beginner plant for people who want real plants but mayne are not so great at keeping them alive! They're drought tolerant and produce babies readily. Read on to find out how to save these babies to increase your collection or give as gifts!
Here we have a spider plant which is producing babies. Hanging down off to the right of the plant is the most obvious one and there is also one to the left.
Here's a closer look at one of the babies. You can see at the bottom of it that there's a root system starting to form. Spider plants produce different numbers of babies too. Sometimws like here it's just one on each stalk- other times there might be babies all the way down the stalk. Either way the following steps apply.
Next you need a small pot with some water. This pot is the size of a small yoghurt pot which i find works well because it's usually small enough to support the leaves of the baby plants.
You need to use some sharp scissors to snip off the baby plant as shown. Repeat this for as many baby plants your spider plant has grown.
Place all of the roots into the pot of water, keeping as many leaves above the water as you can (you can also snip off the whole stalk if your plant has many babies in a small space, and place the cut off end into the water instead of individual baby plants).
Once your baby plants have been in water for a while (usually a couple of weeks) you will see that they look stronger and slightly bigger. At this stage you can put them into soil. And there you have it! Pot on as you need to when the plants outgrow their homes. I know some people who skip the water stage and pot the babies straight into soil. I have tried both and i do find that the extra time in water helps to strengthen the plants and increases the chance of them surviving.For more waste reducing ideas and eco tips, visit @plastic_what_you_preach on instagram.Have a happy new year everyone!!

30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives

• DMarie

Hi! Thanks for your info! I actually did take a baby off my spider plant about 6 months ago. Did the process just as you did. However, my transplanted baby is VERY slow growing....is that normal?

• DMarie

Hi, Jeanne! Thanks for your reply. I did just find out about epsom salt as a boost for plants, so added some about 2 weeks ago. I will try your other suggestions as well. Many thanks!!

• Patti

My question is. Is this plant safe to have around pets if leaves fall off and my fur baby would get it before I did. Would it harm him.

• Shirley

My cat ate the leaves whenever she could. Lived to be 18 1/2 years.

• Geraldine Holland

I believe wandering Jew is dangerous around dogs....

• EmmaSurf

I'll try this with water to compare against how I've always transplanted - lay the baby (still attached) over some potting soil - same pot or new pot - gently hold with a bobby pin until it's rooted then snip the umbilical :) They seem to grow pretty fast.