Helping Hand for the Laundry Room

$10

A place to hang my shirts when I'm folding laundry

My laundry room is super small, more like a closet. (I have to take a door off to remove the Dryer!) No room for a hamper, or a clothes rod. The doorknob holds two or three shirts if you don't mind the wrinkles ; ). I got tired of running back and forth to my bedroom (at the opposite end of the house) and came up with this idea.

I had used a shelf bracket in the past to store extra hangars, so I got one from Lowe's and ordered a wreath hanger from Amazon.

I cut the 'wreath end' off of the wreath hanger with an angle grinder/cut-off wheel

I cleaned up the edges and placed the two together....

... so I could mark the top hole for drilling

I drilled a 3/16" hole in the wreath hanger for some No. 8 hardware

A couple of No. 8 x 3/8" screws at the bottom, with No. 10 washers on them (bigger). I put the screws in from the back, you'll see why in a few more photos.

And another No. 8 screw and nut at the top.

I cut a couple of 1' wide strips of Velcro - the loop side

and placed it over the screw heads so they won't scratch the door once I hang it.

Here is the whole thing assembled over the door. Note the sag: I will have to get a heavier wreath hangar to make this a bit more sturdy

Bend the tip of the shelf bracket up as shown, and place the wreath hanger over the door. Here are four shirts on the hangar. This little gizmo keeps the shirts from getting crowded, and I save a trip or two across the house.

Holler if you have ideas to make it better or easier.Maybe someone already makes this? I don't know, but had to try for myself ;)

• Connie Lester McKelvey

Yes I would love to try it, since I'm going to move in with my daughter that would work for me I would have liked it in a video though I'm going to try it.

• Sandy Stuart Wilhoyt

This is a great idea and I love that you can take it off the door when you’re done. I had a similar problem and came up with a different solution. I used a tension shower rod to hang clothes. I put it above the doorway to my small laundry room. With a closet setup I would put in between the walls over the dryer.