Painting the Piano

$60

Have you ever painted a piano? Me either!!! But I decided to paint ours and the result is amazing - I love it!
The finish on our piano is really dark and pretty damaged. There are knicks and scratches all over it. Plus, it’s missing pieces, the sheet music rack is broken and it is time to do something about it.
Our piano is located in my living room with my dark brown leather couches. Because the sofas are so dark, the piano looks too heavy for the space. Given the damage it has accumulated through the years, I started researching how to refinish the piano.
Before, the piano looks heavy with my sofas..

Researching How to Refinish the Piano

Most inspo pics showed pianos refinished with chalk paint. And I seriously considered using that. However, I decided to try Fusion Mineral Paint because it’s suppose to be even easier than chalk paint. Say what?
It’s true! Fusion Mineral Paint does not need a piece to be pre-sanded AND it has a top coat built in. How cool is that? Ideally, I prefer to try new techniques on smaller projects, but decided to go all in on the piano.
Before the piano was dark, damaged and dingy.

Supplies Needed to Paint the Piano

Whether you refinish a piano with chalk paint or fusion mineral paint, it is a personal preference. Both work really well and minimize the amount of work needed to complete the job.
What You Need
  • Chalk Paint or Fusion Mineral Paint (I used the color Raw Silk)
  • Paint Brush
  • Painter’s Tape (to tape off any areas you want to avoid painting
  • Finishing Wax (if you refinish with Chalk Paint)
  • Sanding Block
  • Dry rag to wipe down after sanding
  • Wax brush or old sock to apply wax
  • Piece of cardboard to help paint around the keys.
  • Drop cloth
  • Antique Glaze to help age the piece (if desired)

Although it's not necessary, I pre-sanded.

How to Paint the Piano

• Remove all hardware if you don’t want to get paint on them.
  • Lift bench off the ground to make it easier to paint the legs. I set mine on paint cans that are the same size.
  • Lightly sand the surface to scuff it up.
  • Wipe down whole piece to clean it up with dry rag.
  • Start painting! Allow the piece to dry in between coats. Since my piano has such a dark finish, I needed to use three coats of Fusion Mineral Paint.
  • When piece is dry, open it up to expose the keys. Lightly sand down any areas or drip marks. Then finish painting. I used a piece of corrugated cardboard paper that I had laying around to help paint around the keys.
  • Allow to dry for a few days. Then lightly sand the edges to give it a distressed look.
  • Clean the surface with a dry rag or cloth.
  • Then use a damp cloth or damp brush to lightly apply the glaze and wipe off to give it an aged appearance.
  • Allow to dry.
  • If you finish the piano with chalk paint, use a finishing wax to seal it.

I lightly pre-sanded the whole piece.
Start with the bench first because its small.
I’m not sure whether I want to use a glaze on the edges of the piano or not yet. Instead of doing it right away, I am going to live with the piece for a little while. If I decided to use the glaze, I would apply it with a damp cloth, then wipe it off with a damp cloth so it is very light and not heavily glazed.
Lightly distressed the edges.

What Do You Think?

And that’s it! What a transformation! I love how it turned out. Painting the piano was not very difficult but it was a little more time consuming than I expected.
Thank you for following along. If you decide to paint your piano or other large furniture piece, I would love to hear about it!
For more information, please visit www.stacyling.com.

Stacy Ling

• Robyn Garner

This looks wonderful! Does anyone play the piano? Does painting it change or ruin the sound? Thanks! 😎

• Donna Rodin

Painting the piano will not at all affect the sound. The only effects to change the sound would be; a damaged sound board; dry heat as in above comment and no moisture. (definitely do not put anywhere near a heat register); positioned on an outside wall causing extreme temperature change if there is inadequate insulation in the wall, or moving the piano due to residence change. Hope this is helpful!

• Beth Burney

I am going to paint mine and hope it turns out as beautiful as yours thanks

• Patsy47

i can't get over how STUNNING that now looks! what a statement piece....

well done 😍