Upcycle Empty Cookie Tins Into Stylish Storage

$2

I love those spiced cookies that you get in the tins from IKEA at Christmas. We got through quite a few of them this year. Instead of throwing away the tins I decided to upcycle them into some stylish travel themed storage for my study. I thought they would look great on my DIY map desk.

You can use cookie tins of any size for this project.

I love old road maps and keep them for crafting with. I decided to give these cookie tins a travel themed make over with maps.

First, I sprayed painted the tin cans a cream color.

I cut strips of road map to fit the outside of the tins.

Using double sided sticky tape I attached the maps to the outside of the tins.

Next, using a rotary paper cutter I cut out a round map to fit the lid of the cookie tin. This was then stuck to the lid with glue.

Then to make the tins even more stylish I added leather handles.

First, I drilled small holes into the side of the cans. (see the blog post for more details).

I made the handles from leather scraps and attached them to the tin using Chicago screws.

Just punch a hole in the leather to pass the screws through.

I attached two handles to each tin.

To make the larger tins better for storage I made dividers using cardboard.

I'm really pleased how these map tin cans turned out. Not only are they handy storage but they look really good in my study. They match the popular IKEA Moppe map drawers I have in the study.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Louise Grey

Very cute idea. Did you attach top circle to cardboard. It looks like there is a raised lip around the top and it would be easy to poke a finger through the paper?

• Wol28179052

Its glued to the top of the tin, you're not likely to poke a finger thru the tin.

• RC Leach

Is a "Chicago Screw" the same thing as a rivet? I have never heard that expression before, and I'm very near to 80 years old. I really like the idea, but I really don't need anything like it, plus, if I wash out the tins after they are empty, and give them to my daughters or granddaughters, I'm likely to get them back full of cookies...

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

A Chicago screw is different to a rivet as it is an actual screw with a kind of blot at the end and not punched like a rivet. They are more commonly used in book making and are easily available online. I wish someone would hand me back tins of homemade cookies.

• Evelyn

Can you just mod pose the map to the tin ?

• Dpbeee2

This is an idea that I will really use soon. Pretty and useful. Thank you.

• Selma

This is a great idea to use the tins to put pictures of vacations and Family reunions and use the maps of where they were. Make great gifts for Reunions to share memories and family history.

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Thank you. I store old photos in tins too and that's a good idea using a map of a particular vacation to store those photos.