Redoing an Interior Door on a Dime

$8

We have slowly been trying to update our rec room in our basement, it has been my son's playroom forever but once he became a teenager it was finally time to give it an update. My husband isn't one for change and if he had it his way our basement would stay in the 1950s forever.. So I took the plunge and set to task painting the dark panelling walls. He thought they looked so great he immediately wanted to put in a new floor. Floor has been done now almost a year but I am still left with these ugly panel doors, which he refuses to part with. He actually likes them. So I was determined to come up with a solution to make us both happy. I got my inspiration on a recent trip to the Dollar store where I found this adhesive shelf liner in a barnwood pattern.

So here is the ugly panel door, we actually have 7 of them in our house. I have redone the main floor ones but the basement ones were never touched. To start I wiped the door off with a damp cloth to clean off and dirt and dust.

Once dry it was time to apply my shelf liner. I purchased two rolls of this at my Dollarama store. To start measure the width of the door and cut your shelf liner. I left about a half inch on either side. Next remove a small section of the backing from the shelf liner. Place in position and pull the backing off slowly and at the same time with your other hand smooth over the front of the shelf liner so you have no wrinkles or air bubbles. Follow this step to do the rest of your door. You are going to match it up like you would wallpaper.

So this is what it should start to look like , I redid the last piece as I realized it didn't match after I had put it up.

So here is the door complete. Using an exacto blade I trimmed off the excess and around door knob and hinges. If you can remove your door knob it's much easier. Mine unfortunately wouldn't budge. So I was left to trim around it.

I wanted to create a barn door look so I picked out a strip out of the shelf liner I liked and cut them out.

Determine where you want to begin on your door and peel the backing off of the shelf liner, using the same technique as you did to hang the liner. Repeat step on the bottom. You can finish with this look or can add the piece down middle by cutting out more of the same pattern.

So here is the door, I wasn't loving the trim so I painted it white to match the rest of the trim. I would love to replace the door knob but for now I painted it black with a metal paint and did the hinges as well.

So here is my new door complete. I am hoping my door makeover will inspire my husband to replace the basement doors. I will even let him think it was his idea!

This was a super easy project and I absolutely love how it turned out. The best part, it only cost me $8.00!!

• Sunshine22

Any suggestions for a bi-fold door in basement dividing play from from family room. Don't have enough space above door to put in slider barn door. The bi-fold door looks more like a closet door now. Ideas or Suggestions welcome!

• Karen

I have slats on my bi-fold so to clean easier and update it. i will be adding thin plywood or hard board to make it flat then use some hardboard cut into strips to use a trim.

• Sharon

I love it! Can it be removed? I ask because I live in an apartment. Thanks much.

• Devonie Fox

Does this self-adhesive paper have a gloss or flat finish? is it possible to use a flat finishing varnish to cover the gloss?

• Melanie

The adhesive paper isn't really shiny, you could though put a flat varnish if you wanted