Easy Sharpie Coasters!

$20

Hi Hometalkers!

I just made these stylish modern coasters with my daughter's 2nd grade class for their school auction, and today I want to share them with you. The Process is really cool!

We started with white hexagon-shaped ceramic tiles with a matte finish.

Using colored Sharpies, we colored the tops and sides of the tiles. I chose to limit the kids to greens and blues for this project to ensure we didn't end up with muddy colors later. But you can use whatever colors you like. It's important to cover the whole surface with color.

Once you're done, lay the colored tiles on a piece of foil outside on a non-flammable surface. I used my back patio.

I poured 91% isopropyl alcohol into a squeeze bottle and drizzled it over the surface of the tiles. It starts to blur the colors together. If you don't have a squeeze bottle you can probably made do with just the alcohol bottle.

Next, light the alcohol on fire with a long lighter, and watch the flames create designs in the ink.

Once everything has cooled, carefully move the tiles to a cool oven. Heat the oven to 300 degrees, and let them cook for 2-3 hours. Let them cool in the oven as well.

Use a Que-tip to paint gold leaf paint on the edges of the tiles, and let it dry overnight.

Spray the tops and sides of the tiles with a clearcoat enamel spray paint to seal them, and let that dry overnight as well.

Trace the shape of the tile onto the cork backing pieces, cut it out a bit smaller than the original.

These coasters are fancy enough to dress up any coffee table! I've been loving gold leaf paint lately, and I recently used it to make this set of coasters too.

31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Jessica Welling Interiors

• Alice Churukian

what a great little project for kids or adult gatherings.... just one question, why do you have to put in oven - if spraying with the clearcoat enamel????

• Yukibar

I've done this and Ms. Silver Fox is correct. I didn't even think to bake them and when I sprayed, the color did move. Great tip! One other thing I did do is immediately after using an eye dropper to apply the alcohol, I moved the colors around by blowing into a straw. I did this project with senior citizens and they had a blast! Going to do again and bake 'em!

• Granny92306

Do these tiles actually absorb water or does it run off? I've lived in the south with high humidity long enough to know that if the coaster doesn't actually absorb the water, there's really no use for the coaster, lol. Water just runs off the coaster onto the table.

• Connie

What is the point of baking them if you are going to clearcoat them? Did you bake them in your oven that you actually use for cooking food?

'

• Silver Fox

There is alcohol in the clear coat spray and it could cause your colors to run/bloom or move the color adding white spots. By baking the color will set and it will not move or change when it’s sprayed.