Succulent Terrarium Using a Mason Jar

$5

I will admit it, I have a problem with plants. I forget to water them until they are bent over gasping for help, it is then that I realize they're in trouble. When I saw this idea at a friend's house I knew I had to share with anyone who is in need of the same solution.

I began by finding jars that would fit these succulents. As the plants grow and thrive I will need to get bigger jars but for now I'm using small jars. I put a few drops of hot glue on the bottom of the jar lid then glued on the plant. You can see just how dry this poor plant was. 

I gave the plant a little water then  covered the soil with a little moss to hold in the water and make it look a little nicer.

I placed the jar over the top and screwed it closed. 

The plants will now be self watering. Yay! They may stand a chance around here this way. 

Any kind of jar will work. I used a recycled jelly jar and a Mason jar for these. I love working with succulents, I've made  all kinds of DIY projects using succulents and you can read about them by following the bold link. I just have a terrible time remembering to water my plants. 

Mason jars or recycled jars... that's it, that is the solution. I gathered the small succulents that are the hardest to keep alive for me and put them in jars. This is not a solution that is going to work for all the big plants that are on the verge of death around here but for the small ones, this is a perfect idea. 

Thanks for visiting! Please go to Homeroad.net to sign up for my DIY emails so my latest project can be sent straight to you.

Homeroad

• Cristela

How do you water them after their in the jar?

• Linda W

Just unscrew it. The lid and jar aren’t glued together. The clay pot was glued to the inside of the lid.

• Annie

How the plant survive if there’s no air inside the jar 🙏

• Homeroad

There is air inside and you can unscrew the bottom to air it out every once in a while if needed.

• Belinda Horsley

Great ideas for the many vintage Mason jars I have from my great grandma and now fixing up house to be country farm deco

• Brenda

I water my indoor plants the same day every week. It helps to know Monday is my watering day. My outdoor succulents, I water every other Monday. It really helps to keep a schedule. I print out a monthly calendar and mark the days for indoor and outdoor watering. This really is very helpful.