Asked on Mar 15, 2020

How do I open this tube?

Deb KCindyAgnes Chrzanowska
+26

The end of this tube is very hard. I slightly tried to punch the end of a knife into it and also tried a large paper clip but neither budged it. I was a bit timid in trying because I didn't want to slip and cut myself. Should I continue trying to punch a hole or cut the end off? And what should I use? A utility knife? An Exacto knife?

• I've had to open that very tube and used a utility knife once and the last time, a hacksaw to cut the end off.

• Em

Use a large nail to open end. Tap with hammer and pull out with pliers. If all else fails, cut the nozzle up higher with a utility knife. Last but not least cut the back end off and use something to remove the contents out like an old spoon. Reseal tightly with duct tape for next use.

• Beth

I've had tubes of this stuff dry up before. Even if you get into it, the wood filler may be too crumbly and hard at this point. It's worth trying to get into it to see, and others have given some good advice on that front, but the wood filler may not be useable anymore.

• Zard Pocleeb

Use a pair of wire cutters to snip the end. Make sure to cut it close to the tip. This is a very safe way of doing it. I’ve been doing it this way for years with zero injuries.

• Zard Pocleeb

Everything has a shelf life but there are ways to extend it. The cap that comes with it should do a pretty fair job but you can store it in a plastic bag between uses.

• Dee

First kneed the tube so that you know is it pliable. Then just use a knife and cut off the tip, do not take a lot off cut as you were cutting a caulking tube. When you are finished using the wood filler, use a small piece of painters tape to seal the tube and then put the cap on. I usually also put mine in a ziplock bag to keep the air out

• Sandy

tHE TUBE SHOULD SAY HOW TO OPEN IT OR CALL THE NUMBER ON THE TUBE OR GO TO THE WEBSITE... 3--15-20

• Ken Erickson

If new, then use a utility knife to open it by cutting off a portion of the tip. If it is old and the putty has hardened, cut off lower on tip. A large nail can usually clear the obstruction. you can always cut a slit in the tube and get remaining putty out, but then the tube needs to be thrown away.

• Redcatcec

My first choice to go to would be a utility knife, followed by a pair of wire cutters. If you can't budge the tip, then cut a small slit in the other end of the tube and that will let you access the wood filler. After use and so it won't dry out, either cover the opening with painters tape or duct tape, which ever works best for you. The important part is to prevent drying out, so keep the product as airtight as possible.

• Pat

Sometimes there is a "clog" in the top of the tube put in there by the manufacturer to keep it air tight. I use a small screwdriver to poke open the end of the tube. Don't know if that is what you have but could try it.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Generally I use a utility knife or wire cutters.

Cut the nub tip off. Knife, wire cutters, utility knife. Cap threads on for storing. I like to put a nail into the tip with the head of the nail flush. Then screw the cap on.

• Janice

You mentioned to a post that you had just recently purchased the tube. If this is the case and you've not used it prior, I suggest you take it back to the store along with your receipt of you have it and request a different tube or a refund.

• Cynthia H

Some tubes are sealed to protect the contents. I use kitchen scissors to cut the tip.

• Pamela

Cut the top with wide or floral cutters !

• Pamela

That was supposed to be wire cutters !

• Simple Nature Decor

You can use a nail to make a hole in the tip

• Kmdreamer

Cut the tip off only with a knife on a cutting board cut at a angle .

• Pat

From looking at your picture, I would say you should cut the tip off just above the screw lines (that screw into the lid). I think the nub was made purposely like that to keep the contents air tight. William has the right idea.

• Jessica Welling Interiors

I would try snipping the end off with wire cutters.

• Lindsay Aratari

I would try snipping off the end

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Use a pair of wire cutters to snip the end

• Cindy

Hi Louise. You might be able to snip the end off using nail clippers. Once you have the tube open, put a straight pin in the hole to keep it open in between use.

• Deb K

Hi Louise, use a sharp utility knife and cut the opening fairly small so you can use a nail to seal it when you are done with it, the nail should allow you to put the cap back on as well. I have attached a video for how to open silicone, but it will work the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6HfGcy-rnQ