Burlap “Banner” Hoop Wreath

$15

I love to switch up the wreaths on my doors with the seasons. I like to hang wreaths on bedroom doors, outside doors and even on antique doors that are just hanging around for decorating purposes. I like to have different styles of wreaths that are easy to make yet different in their elements. Keep reading to see how I styled a hoop wreath using an element of burlap.

Gather materials

First you’ll need to gather your materials.

I used:

• 14” embroidery hoop

• spray paint (brown and white)

• burlap ribbon (blue)

• hello chipboard word

• faux flower stem

• hot glue gun & glue

• scissors

• floral wire

** I already had my glue gun, hot glue, scissors, floral wire and spray paint left over from previous projects. This helped to keep my overall costs down. Another thing to help keep the cost down is: I buy everything on sale at Hobby Lobby or I price compare on Amazon to see where I can get the best deal.

The first thing I did was separate the embroidery hoop (as it has two layers) and spray paint both pieces a dark brown color.

Next I spray painted the chipboard “hello” word, white.

Burlap Banner

Once the paint was dry I could set the burlap in place. I chose the blue colored burlap for the spring vibe and hoping the hello word would stand out a little more against it.

Placing the burlap over top of the inside hoop and pulling enough to the sides for the overlap, you’ll then place the outside hoop over the inside hoop and securing in place. The over lap of burlap was 4 1/2 inches on each side. My hoop has a screw at the top where I secured and tightened the hoop.

Adding the Word

Now that the burlap is in place, I can add the hello word using hot glue to keep it in place. The chipboard word is fairly light and the hot glue worked perfectly to attach the word to the burlap.

I found the word at Hobby Lobby in the wood crafting isles. They had a selection of several words to choose from and several different sizes. This is where you can personalize your wreath. You may find a word you like cut out of wood or metal, those will work on this wreath as well. There’s no right or wrong when it comes to creating. Choose something that you like, fits your personality or your home.

Creating banner edges

Making the banner style edges is simple and fairly easy. Cut a triangle out of the burlap ends on each side. That’s it!

Then place your floral stem along the bottom of hoop. We used floral wire to attach the greenery and flowers. Wrap the wire around the hoop and branch to secure.

Ready to Hang

Now you are ready to hang your wreath. I like to use a natural colored, smaller width burlap ribbon. Loop it around the hoop and secure it on the back of the door or on a hook. I use either painters tape or packaging tape to secure it to the back of my decorative antique doors. You can also tie a knot or a bow and hang on a hook. Again- be creative in how you want the end result to look.

One reason I like to hang my hoop wreaths like this is to hide the screw at the top where I tighten them. You may choose to have the screw be at the bottom and hide it with the floral stem.

Final photo

Here she is all styled in our front entryway. This time of year we get a lot of wind where we live, to keep my wreaths from blowing away I place them on inside doors. This wreath will work on an outside door as well. When the wind dies down I’ll switch it to my front porch.

For more design and decor styling ideas, tips and refinished furniture; head to my Instagram page @beaus_and_belles

To see more: http://instagram.com/beaus_and_belles/

• Nancy

I love the simplicity of the wreath. I'm curious about the red and black pompoms and the star on the USA cutout. Are you in East Texas or Louisiana?

• Nancy

I thought maybe that was the Texas Lone Star!