Wall Grandfather Clock Upcycle

$20

Every once in a while you come across a real gem at the thrift store and when I saw this hanging Grandfather clock, I knew that is was destined for a stunning upcycle.

I am a huge fan of upcycling. I find that people throw out so many wonderful treasures that could totally be repurposed into something new, chic and trendy.

Let me show you what I did to this clock and you can let me know in the comments what you think.

Here's what the clock looked like at the thrift store.

I scooped up this little treasure for just $7.99.

The first thing I did when I got this little baby home was take it apart. The pendulum was already broken and just sitting inside the clock so that was easy to take out.

I removed the clock face with a screw driver an took out the glass.

I gave this treasure a fresh new coat of paint with some Country Chic Paint in the colour String of Pearls.

I did two coats of paint. After I let the paint dry for 12 hours, I used 80 grit sand paper to reveal the dark colour of the clock underneath — just around the edges.

This gave my clock a chic yet rustic look.

I cut some wood shims to fit the back of my clock and then stained them in Weathered Grey stain.

I arranged the wood shims on clock backing for totally new look.

This also worked well to cover the whole left by the clock mechanisms that I took out.

To secure the woos shims in place, I added two piece of thin corner trim to each side and then secured them with an air nailer.

I added in a tiny little shelf by cutting a piece of 1x2 and then securing it in place with my air nailer.

Now instead of a clock, I have an adorably chic rustic shelf unit.

I am so happy with how this turned out and so glad that I was able to give a broken old clock new life.

If you love this project make sure you check out my video on Tangi!

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Holly Grace

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Had you considered putting a clock mechanism back in? I love your new color/finish and think it would be AWESOME if someone did this and made it back to a grandfather clock. I've never seen one like that. 😎