Wall Grandfather Clock Upcycle

$20

Every once in a while you come across a real gem at the thrift store and when I saw this hanging Grandfather clock, I knew that is was destined for a stunning upcycle.

I am a huge fan of upcycling. I find that people throw out so many wonderful treasures that could totally be repurposed into something new, chic and trendy.

Let me show you what I did to this clock and you can let me know in the comments what you think.

Here's what the clock looked like at the thrift store.

I scooped up this little treasure for just $7.99.

The first thing I did when I got this little baby home was take it apart. The pendulum was already broken and just sitting inside the clock so that was easy to take out.

I removed the clock face with a screw driver an took out the glass.

I gave this treasure a fresh new coat of paint with some Country Chic Paint in the colour String of Pearls.

I did two coats of paint. After I let the paint dry for 12 hours, I used 80 grit sand paper to reveal the dark colour of the clock underneath — just around the edges.

This gave my clock a chic yet rustic look.

I cut some wood shims to fit the back of my clock and then stained them in Weathered Grey stain.

I arranged the wood shims on clock backing for totally new look.

This also worked well to cover the whole left by the clock mechanisms that I took out.

To secure the woos shims in place, I added two piece of thin corner trim to each side and then secured them with an air nailer.

I added in a tiny little shelf by cutting a piece of 1x2 and then securing it in place with my air nailer.

Now instead of a clock, I have an adorably chic rustic shelf unit.

I am so happy with how this turned out and so glad that I was able to give a broken old clock new life.

If you love this project make sure you check out my video on Tangi!

Holly Grace

• Robyn Garner

Had you considered putting a clock mechanism back in? I love your new color/finish and think it would be AWESOME if someone did this and made it back to a grandfather clock. I've never seen one like that. 😎