Easy Rag Rug Makeover

$5

I'm a big fan of rag rugs and have several of them in my home. They are easy to clean because they can be thrown into the washer and set outside to dry, which is a must when you have kids. This rag rug makeover is a really fun way to update something you already have at home with something else a lot of us have - yarn scraps! This is also a great project that you can work on plopped in front of the tv and the entire family can help with this.

Start with a clean rag rug.

Pull out your yarn scraps. You can use any kind of yarn for this, but chunky yarn works best.

If you are cutting yarn for this, you'll want to cut your pieces about 2" long. Take a couple pieces of yarn, pull under the twine and tie in a double knot.

Continue tying knots on your rug. You can work along the lines of your rug or get creative and make your own design.

I added yarn along the edges of my rug, added some shapes and random lines.

I still have a few things to add to this rug, but love how it turned out. You can even hang your rug on a wooden down and turn into a wall hanging if you'd rather do that!

Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

• Connie

would this be the same way to use as with plastic bags.

• N. G. Londonderry

Are you still able to wash the rug in the washing machine without destroying the yarn decorations? The ruglooks great!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I haven't had to wash my rug yet, but I plan on throwing it in the washer and washing on a gentle cycle. If your yarn is tied in a double knot, it should be ok.

• Annie Wiens Oper

Could you use a latch hook for this? It seems like it would be easier. I think I'll try it. Thanks for the idea.

• Cathy Hays

So cute! I have a couple of rag rugs that I am not using anymore and I have wanted to sew them together to make them into one large rug. Adding yarn will help disguise the area where I connect them together! What a great solution. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Hos38661156

Such a cute idea for my daughters room. I really think she would like to do this craft as well. Thank you for idea!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

It's really a fun way to update something and she can work on it while watching her favorite tv show since it's such an easy project!